PDA

View Full Version : heat sink question

rafkia88
03-01-2014, 08:16 PM
I am doing the planning for the cram fu on my first build and trying to find out how far beyond the end of the blade holder will a V3 heat sink extend into the hilt. At the rate I am going my hilt will be about 3 foot long. so any help would be gratefully received and cheerfully applied.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
03-01-2014, 08:20 PM
It can be as much as 1/2" depending on which LED you are using.

rafkia88
03-01-2014, 08:41 PM
thanks for the quick reply is that is less than I feared it would be.
I have got my electronics all ordered now just to find the right hilt parts to get it all to fit in.
if you would be willing to look at it and make any suggestions that would be great
I have coming
a mini igniter sound board
a Z6 led
1 18650 Single Cell Holder
1 16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Gold Plated Switch
1 MHS speaker mount V6
1 Premium Speaker
1 MWS Short Momentary 16mm AV Switch
1 MHS "new style" Heat Sink V3
3 Star thermal tape pad
1 Collimator Lens 8.7 deg viewing angle
1 2.1mm Power Jack
I am hoping the sound card with fit on the speaker mount but it is about 5mm wider than the NB so I am not sure if it will. without major sanding.
and trying to find the right box and am leaning to either an 11 or 14 but size is becoming an issue.
and unfortunately I have had to try to find Batteries on ebay as I cant find any around here and TCSS doesn't ship them to Canada anymore

Forgetful Jedi Knight
03-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Well, I'm not going to really comment on the NEC stuff, I don't personally use it. What you have listed looks about right to me. Whether this all works or not depends on what hilt you are going to sty to stuff this all in.

dgdve
03-03-2014, 06:19 AM
You shouldn't have any problems at all with your hilt at that length.

The soundboard should fit as 5mm is pretty close (and its actually 2.5mm on either side if you center it I'm guessing) OR you can attempt to sand the speaker mount (as you said) just not the soundboard itself.

I have used NEC boards but just prefer the way plecter labs does hardware revisions + firmware patches, over the "send in for flashing" thing NEC does (to each their own so I'm sure you'll be fine and happy with it, just take your time with it).

You can find a battery, don't worry.. Tim wants to ship them.. BUT since It's become illegal to do so I'm sure you understand it's out of his hands (just saying no one is really happy with that decision but that's how it is)

I'm sure your saber will be great so just take your time and enjoy the build process! Take lots of pictures since it can help you remember what you've done should you ever need to diagnose an issue. (Ohh and post it.. We LOVE sabers so be sure to post it!)

____
____

Oh and don't forget a proper Kill key + appropriate charger (maybe a blade safety plug too?)

rafkia88
03-03-2014, 10:10 PM
thanks for the great feedback it is exactly what I needed.
I was hoping to try a NB but they are sold out so that or a PC is my plan for my next build.
I wont really be able to figure the hilt until I get the internals set mainly to see if I can mount the board on the speaker mount or if I need another couple inches further forward to mount it there. I hope some sanding on the mount will fit things in, I have a line on some bare batteries on ebay but not anything wired as a pack so I have to use a holder. no way am I going to try to solder wires to the battery itself.
I get that the laws have changed it is just so stupid that you cant ship the batteries alone but if they are mounted in something you can. civil servants making rules for the sake of making rules. it is a shame thou there is not some other shipping method that would be allowed would be worth the extra cost to order enough to be set for a couple years.

I plan to post as I go for advice and suggestions, with the knowledge and experience here I would be a fool not too.

I do have a 3.7 smart charger in my TCSS order as well as a kill key and do have a spare blade plug so I dont blind myself. ha ha

rafkia88
03-11-2014, 01:36 PM
I swear the USPS is staffed with confused people my order was posted on the 4th and in washington state I live in alberta north and little east and today it was processed in BETHPAGE, NY on the opposite side of the country now it will have to come all the way back west. my last order went through seattle and was here in 7 days lol. with the shipping costs you would hope for a little straighter path wouldnt you ?