PDA

View Full Version : CF 6.5 color mixing problems

Danz409
02-06-2014, 03:29 PM
so i finally got my resistors in but it is not looking good. i fired it up for the first time and even without the board booting the green (more so than the others) is on even without ignition. here is a diagram of my setup.

http://i.imgur.com/SUktUlW.png

also. once i did connect via rice port it was able to change the brightness of all LEDs however when i turn all to minimum the only one that fully turns out is the red amber and blue. the green still is causing some problems
also i noticed the resistors seem to be running extremely hot. and they are calculated to be higher wattage rating than what is needed. what could be the problem?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Well, first off, we would need to see actual pictures of what you have done they need to be good, high quality close up shots.

I also have no idea why you are attaching your amber to the 3.3V pad. It sounds to me like you have a short somewhere.

Danz409
02-06-2014, 03:48 PM
that does look like it could be the problem. looks like the insulating layer on some of the wires didn't last so well considering how hot i had to get those pads to melt the solder...
soldering anything on these stars is a pain!

http://i.imgur.com/Wo2sdqK.jpg

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-06-2014, 03:52 PM
That's one (of the several) reasons why many don't use LedEngins any more. Also the fact that you have one die connected to the 3.3V pad isn't helping.

Danz409
02-06-2014, 03:55 PM
wait... what? O.o i thought there was 2 pads for each dice

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-06-2014, 04:02 PM
wait... what? O.o i thought there was 2 pads for each dice

On the LED, there is a (+) and a (-) for each of the 4 dice. Typically we only use RGB (3 dice) for color mixing...

Danz409
02-06-2014, 04:06 PM
i am useing only 3. the amber is wired to the pad labeled FoC for the flash on clash effects if this LED causes too much troubles i do have a luxion tri-rebel i can use in its place. i may just try that

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-06-2014, 04:08 PM
i am useing only 3. the amber is wired to the pad labeled FoC for the flash on clash effects if this LED causes too much troubles i do have a luxion tri-rebel i can use in its place. i may just try that

No, you are using all four. It looks like you have the amber and green (or amber and red) wired to FoC1.

Danz409
02-06-2014, 04:20 PM
http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc/CrystalFocusSaberCoreV6.10-v1.2-GB.pdf page 34 shows how you should wire up color-mixing without the color extender.
thats exactly how i have mine wired up other than the fact my "amber" is also wired to a pad labled "FoC

Danz409
02-06-2014, 04:28 PM
well i found out what the pad labled "FoC" is, its a pre-amped line for the color mixing board. so thats not going to do anything on the amber die. since i wouldn't be able to make use of all 4 die (unless i wire the amber/red on the same line) ill just use the tri-rebel and see how that works

Danz409
02-06-2014, 05:18 PM
here is the tri-rebel. (yea its a little beat up)
http://i.imgur.com/c5JunTx.jpg
since they share the same ground. i'm going to have to put the resistors between the + on the LEDs and the battery packs. hopefully this works.

EDIT- i don't think this die is going to work. i need stand-alone grounds for all dies to be controlled by the CF... looks like i'm buying another LED?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-06-2014, 06:18 PM
i need stand-alone grounds for all dies to be controlled by the CF... looks like i'm buying another LED?

I would say so. Try the Tri-rebel R/G/rB, and lose the wire to the FoC1 pad on top of the board.

Danz409
02-06-2014, 07:06 PM
to save cash.. a LOT of it... i decided to just have a second go at the LED engin and just ignore the amber.. (i may just put that on a triditional clash sensor/tip42 for psudo FoC effects) but for now. its just unused. after firing it up. success! works fine!
i also noticed that putting the red dice on a resistor is not the best idea considering it burns more energy in a resistor than blue or green. so to save power. i put that on the main driver. and things are working well!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-06-2014, 07:13 PM
You need to re-read the manual a few times to get how FoC really works. Because from what you are saying, I don't think you get how it is suppose to work.

Danz409
02-08-2014, 08:50 PM
ahh its all clear now. thanks!