PDA

View Full Version : Constructing a LED removable string blade from scratch

mvnwalks421
01-24-2014, 10:02 AM
My design currently has 125 LEDs in a ladder formation, a 36" inch blade (trimmed from 40" inches), a bullet tip, and a diffuser that runs the length of the ladder. My question for all of you experts, and I assure you I have exhausted my research efforts, how should the base of the blade and blade holder be designed so as to be inserted into the hilt using a method similar to the Hasbro Force FX removable blade lightsabers? I already am familiar with the blade retention screw, I simply am wanting to learn about the mechanics of the transfer of power between the LEDs and the power source (a dependent variable I have yet to decide on).

Darth Avarice
01-24-2014, 12:23 PM
I recently read on another former about a person using a 1/4 inch jack and plug from an instrument cable and guitar tuner to wire up a removable blade

mvnwalks421
01-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Hurm...very creative, I must look into this. Do you happen to remember how that worked in relation to the resisters?

Darth Avarice
01-24-2014, 12:46 PM
It doesn't really say, but if you google makoto style blade, it's like the first link

Renaissance Jedi
01-24-2014, 02:36 PM
If I understand the question correctly, then what you're looking for is a DIN plug. The male half should be mounted in the blade and is attached to the LED ladder, and the female half of the plug should be mounted in the blade holder.
I would recommend taking a look at Slothfurnace's stuff. He did a bunch of sabers with removable LED ladder blades.

mvnwalks421
01-24-2014, 03:08 PM
That was very helpful; and thank you I`ll research him more.

Silver Serpent
01-25-2014, 06:30 AM
http://www.slothfurnace.com/ is the definitive site for looking at all his work.