PDA

View Full Version : RGB color combos using dip switch

araffa040872
01-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Hello,

I am looking to modify one of my blades with a 3 DIP switch. Each DIP will control a color to toggle it on/off.

The idea is to toggle in all combos to get all 7 colors.

My question is, if I have the switches in a setting like : R / R / G, the idea would be to get yellow. But if 2 reds are on with 1 green, wouldn't the red overpower the green ? Or would I essentially be getting something close to orange ?

I guess I could toggle one light off and just keep R/G/off to get an even mix. But I don't want to lose any brightness.

Does this make sense ?

Sorry if I poorly explained it.

Thanks.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-19-2014, 04:49 PM
What kind of LED are you planning to use?

araffa040872
01-19-2014, 05:34 PM
What kind of LED are you planning to use?

LED Engin LZ4 10W Multi Color

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-19-2014, 05:38 PM
LED Engin LZ4 10W Multi Color

Ah. With what you are thinking of doing, you may be better off with a Tri-Rebel R/G/rB.

araffa040872
01-19-2014, 05:57 PM
that makes sense. Engin LZ4 seems overkill.

Do you think Tri-Rebel would work in a Joe Jedi?

Aside from that does my original post make any sense ? In other words, do you think a setting of R/R/G for example would would overpower the green? Or if I were to toggle any of the 3 DIPS to off lets say off/R/off, make a really dim blade ?

Again sorry if I am not making much sense. I am quite the noob at this so far.

thanks again.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-19-2014, 06:03 PM
It couldn't be any worse than what you have now. I don't really deal with conversions and/or economy boards. SS (or one of the others more experienced in this area) will probably be along later to chime in on this, he knows more in this specific area than I do.

Silver Serpent
01-20-2014, 07:20 AM
Any single Tri-Rebel die is decently bright. R/G makes for a pleasant yellow. I'd imagine that R/R/G would get a fiery orange/red color. For the best variety of colors, you'll want the R/G/rB Tri-Rebel.

One thing to consider is how much current you'll have running through those DIP switches. They're generally a low-current application. If you run too much power through the switches, they might get damaged.

araffa040872
01-20-2014, 09:44 PM
OK guys, please don't make fun of me, LOL. I am going to attempt with my noob knowledge of this to show you what I am trying to do. So here are 2 pictures of the joe jedi 616 board I will be working with:

pic1

pic2

and here is the switch:

pic3

Now comes my schematic so prepare to laugh hard:

pic4

I will now explain what I want to do. As you know, the 616 currently has a 3 position switch which controls which sound bites to load up along with the associated color (Red, Green or Blue). This set is powered by 3aaa battery pack.

My first step is to cut these 3 wires from pic #2 above. Red / Green / Blue which are all leading to the original LED plus sides respectively. Now that these 3 wires are cut, they no longer control which color is fired up, but will STILL select the proper sounds (I hope). Therefore, I "bridge" the 3 wires together coming from the 616 as shown in pic #4. Next I bridge the Dip switch (the side that is in the "off" position). Next, I run a wire to connect the 2 bridges. The thought process is to lead the current from the 616 board through the dip switch via the connecting two bridges.

Now, I take the red/green/blue wire coming from the original LED and connect them to the Dip switch ("on" side) assigning 1 color per position. Let us just say Red to #1, Green to #2, Blue to #3.

The purple wire remains untouched as it is the LED main negative.

This would complete the circuit (I hope, lol) and ready for testing. I basically can get 7 colors by toggling the 3 position DIP switch. Example, turn 1 on, and leave 2 and 3 off. This should make the blade Red. Turn 1 and 2 on and leave #3 off mixing Red and Green to get Yellow. turn 1 and 3 on leaving 2 off to mix Red and Blue to get Purple, etc....etc.....

Remember that I planned on using the original LED that came with this construction set but was thinking of swapping it out for a Luxeon Rebel Tri color. But not sure if I can do that and get the right power supply to light it up at full throttle and same time, not burning out my 616.

OK guys, fire away! I am sure I forgot something really important like "where are my resistors" or something else.

Thanks for the help !!

AL

Master Schyler
01-30-2014, 06:01 PM
have you worked on this any further? Im curious as to how it turns out. I was thinking on doing the same thing myself but hadnt a clue where to start. :)

dgregory
02-15-2014, 06:26 PM
I just did this with a RGrB tri rebel. I used two slide switches instead of a dip switch. Same result though.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?16256-D-s-Color-Shifter-with-NB-and-Crystal-Chamber