PDA

View Full Version : replacing blade on fx vader

ADTguy
01-17-2014, 11:31 PM
i know someone will point me in the right direction, i looked but couldn't find the info i need. i have a vader fx saber with a broken blade. the led string is intact and i would like to continue to use it if at all possible. i've already disassembled the saber and removed the blade. the led string is stored safely. i guess i'm wondering if the hardcore battle blades in the store are compatible with an otherwise stock fx saber. and if so, do they require any modification or is there another alternative that is a direct fit and more durable than the stock blade. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mandalorian
01-18-2014, 01:13 AM
From my experience with forcefx sabers, those blades will break in some way after use. AFAIK, using the LED string in the standard blade is the best way to use it. Fitting it with another blade might be tricky, and the blades from the store don't really mount in those sabers unless you modify them to do so. Although, I'm thinking of the fixed blade fx sabers, not sure if this is any different for the ones with removable blades. Someone else will have to chime in if that's the case.
If you plan to use these for dueling, I strongly recommend getting a conversion kit. That way, you won't have the problem of dim spots in your blade when LED's on the string die, and will be able to use a more durable blade without much effort.
There's my $0.02.

ADTguy
01-18-2014, 10:20 PM
could i not just get a 40" thick walled tube and retrofit it if need be? if so, what type of modifications need to be made. do the tcss blades come pre drilled for mounting screws and set pins?

Mandalorian
01-19-2014, 12:51 AM
The thing that could be a problem is sliding the protective foam around the LED's inside the TCSS blade. I've never tried it, so I don't know if it would fit, but I don't think it would since the thicker wall leaves less space inside the blade, plus the film inside the blade may be crinkled in the process. The foam is necessary to further diffuse the LED's and keep them from bouncing around inside the blade. My LED strings and foam are packed away where I can't get to them right now to try it out, but that's my main worry with that.
The TCSS blades do not come predrilled. All my builds simply have a screw in the emitter that tightens down on the blade. None have set pins, like the forcefx sabers do. The other nice thing is with a conversion kit, you get a metal blade holder. They are much more durable than the plastic holders in the fx sabers.
I guess I should ask what you're planning to use it for? Dueling, show piece? What's the main reason you want to keep the LED string, as well as use one of the thick walled blades? I've just been going off the assumption you would be dueling with it, but knowing for sure might be better.