PDA

View Full Version : Having issue with RB/RB/RB TRI REBEL. It will not power on.

Defcon4
01-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Okay guys .. I appreciate any insight you can give.

This is a tri rebel 3 up in royal blue from LED Supply. It is pre bridged.

I thought I might use it in a stunt saber along with a 1000 mah buck puck and a 4xaaa 6V battery block.

I wanted to give the LED a quick test before installing, so I wired the LED to the buck puck and to the battery pack but when I installed the batteries
I got nothing from the LED.

1) I checked my wiring to be certain I had Positive and Negative correctly wired.
2) I checked to be certain I have the batteries in properly.
3)At the risk of having a bad solder or cold solder, I removed the wires and de-soldered down to the pads. re-tinned and re wired.

I'm just wondering if there is something I have completely over looked. I'm having one of these Dah! moments where I'm thinking its something simple and I'm just not seeing it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/DEFCON4/rbrbrb_zps45e62ca1.jpg

Jay-gon Jinn
01-14-2014, 10:31 AM
since you got that one from ledsupply, and it is pre-bridged, it is a series connected led. It will require at least 9 or 10 volts to light up. I have gotten some from them before, and had to remove the bridges in order to use them.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Okay guys .. I appreciate any insight you can give.

I'm just wondering if there is something I have completely over looked. I'm having one of these Dah! moments where I'm thinking its something simple and I'm just not seeing it.

You are trying to power close to 10V (3.3V *3) worth of LED's with 6V worth of power? I also don't see anything that resembles a switch in that test setup.

Ooops. Jay beat me to it. :D

Defcon4
01-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Thank you guys, as always I appreciate you leading back to the right path. (I'm still a Newb)

So, I don't have enough power with this configuration. Would you guys recommend that I remove the bridges and wire parallel?

Also, would the buck puck be the best option for power and brightness to the led (1000 mah)? I have resistors on hand that I have been using for Rb's and Green's with these 6 volt battery block(4xAAA).

Jedi, I thought I may be able to check power to the led by running straight to the battery block .. and insert batteries to act as on/off. Just for testing sake. Was I mistaken?

Thanks again guys.

Def.

Jay-gon Jinn
01-15-2014, 09:53 PM
I would definitely remove the bridges and wire them in parallel...I had to do the exact same thing with a triple cyan I got from them a couple of years ago, except I was using a petit crouton sound board to power that saber and used two of the led's for the main blade and the third one for FoC. It didn't work out so well, being it was the same color. By putting the led's in parallel, you're going to want to give them a total of 3000ma, so each will get 1000ma. I think it might be best to use resistors for that since each led should have it's own, and that could take up a lot of space with 3 buck pucks.

Oh, and not using a switch just for testing purposes, is perfectly fine.

Defcon4
01-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Thank you Jay.

I took your advice and removed the bridges. Resistored each die individually. It gave me a very bright saber.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/DEFCON4/ODYSSEYDAMASCUS1_zps943a44c1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/DEFCON4/odysseydamascus5_zps02660c90.jpg