PDA

View Full Version : Stunt blades???

Darth Kenobi
12-31-2013, 01:13 PM
I have heard about aluminum blades for stunts and live performances but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone know if there are actually solid aluminum blades for stunt sabers? I would definitely get one because I use my saber for heavy dueling.

Silver Serpent
12-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Aluminum bends under heavy dueling. There is a company out of New Zealand(?) that makes the carbon fiber blades that were used in Ep 3.

Get the thick walled polycarbonate blades from the store here. They'll light up with proper LEDs in the hilt, and can withstand very heavy dueling. There are some real gorillas out there using these blades, and it's rare to see anything worse than a tip flying off. PolyC is TOUGH stuff. :)

Darth Kenobi
12-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Ok thanks for the info! What kind of glue do you recommend to use when a tip falls off?

Silver Serpent
12-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Weld-On 3 or 16 is ideal for polycarbonate blades. Chloroform works just as well, though you get funny looks from the NSA when you order it. Gorilla glue is used by a number of sabersmiths. Avoid using standard Superglue.

Mandalorian
01-07-2014, 10:53 AM
The polyC blades will definitely stand up to quite a beating. Only ever had one tip fly off, and that was from a cheapo MR blade. Never lost a tip or seriously damaged a blade from TCSS personally.
Also, if you're looking at something lighter, carbon fiber is great, as SS mentioned already. Just to give you an idea of how it compares to things like aluminum and wood look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBN7wdISQO4