PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with more goofey questions

unclescary
12-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Hello there,
I am new to the saber building thing and have been throwing around the idea for a few years. I have come up with a MHS desigh and before I order the part, I wanted to know if what I am trying to achieve is even possible. I have seen many amazing sabers in the gallery, but nothing to what I am concocting in my brain. Here's the Idea.

I want to Put the heat sink further back and have vents to see the saber. I know that will take off from the blade length and I'm cool with that.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-28-2013, 06:35 PM
First off, Welcome to the Forums.

Your plan may also make your blade rather dim as some of the light may not be directly focused up through the blade. Plus there will be some wobble in the chamber sections, the ID is 1.25" and blades are only 1"

Silver Serpent
12-28-2013, 06:59 PM
It'd be easier to install a small accent LED in the slotted section and use that to illuminate that particular part. Trying to do what you're describing will require custom fabrication of an extra long blade holder.

TrypWyr
12-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Your plan may also make your blade rather dim as some of the light may not be directly focused up through the blade.

Actually, I don't think this is a concern. It would be just like an extra long blade holder with cutouts (similar to BH22 but even longer), so long as the blade does actually go down all the way to the led assembly. Now this would also mean a longer blade, so you could be looking at dimming issues due to that, but that would be the case with any saber.

Plus there will be some wobble in the chamber sections, the ID is 1.25" and blades are only 1"

Dead on with this, though. I rigged one up using some spare parts (choke 1 short -> LED -> Dbl male w slots -> 1.2" dbl female -> BH23)... The blade fit pretty snug due to the BH, but like FJK says, there is quite a but of play in the dbl male piece, especially if you plan on dueling. I'm sure something could be rigged though, and probably hidden quite effectively.

The big problem is that the LED module would need a shim of some sort, as the lip isn't big enough to lock in between the choke and the double male. I wonder if Tim could possibly make you a custom double male with a 1" ID and longer threads like a blade holder?

unclescary
12-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and your sharing of information. I was thinking of the Epoch and the Sinister Prophecy Sabers made by Saber Forge. I was looking on his site and really liked how he has the slots in the handle towards the hilt for the light to come through. 9375 9376