PDA

View Full Version : First Build -- Desert Storm inspired saber

anchornm
12-26-2013, 01:00 PM
It has some problems, but I thought I would share it with the group...9368

amwolf
12-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Interesting... I like it. Cool shroud designs (pvc?) with a durable, military feel. My only critique is that the paint on the shrouds is too clean relative to the visual feel of the main body, but maybe they were from an aftermarket supplier with a factory paint job while the body was a rush field repaint job...

So what problems do you have, perhaps we can help? Uh, that may be an overly loaded question...

anchornm
12-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Interesting... I like it. Cool shroud designs (pvc?) with a durable, military feel. My only critique is that the paint on the shrouds is too clean relative to the visual feel of the main body, but maybe they were from an aftermarket supplier with a factory paint job while the body was a rush field repaint job...

So what problems do you have, perhaps we can help? Uh, that may be an overly loaded question...

The hilt, emitter, and pommel are all MHS. The shroud and Covertec mount are aluminum. Everything was painted with Rust-oleum camo paints. The shroud was finish coated with Klass Kote epoxy, with plenty of flattener, so it looked camo. In order to have the body contrast, I used Klass Kote with half as much flattener. The project sat in a box for most of the summer, and somehow, it got chipped, so I repainted the emitter, and it came out a tiny bit too glossy. The problems... I couldn't figure out how to plot the curves on the mill. I had a couple of failures. There is a groove at the base of the shroud, that I sanded out to a degree, and there was another major problem... My tool came loose, and it went wild into the lip of the shroud, so I cut it short by over an inch. I had hoped to have some cooling vents in it, and use a choke, but had to regroup when the shroud went south. I missed when I drilled the holes for the belt ring, so I moved it down, and re-punched them with centering punches. The paint kinda melted when I ground-off the ends of the screws. I wanted to use 1/8" screws on the first two holes, and 1/4" screws on the last ones, so they didn't molest the thread on the pommel. I couldn't find 8-32 socket head cap screws that matched, so I used all 1/4" and ground them to 1/8" after they were screwed in. I would restart the project, but I decided to live and learn, and pass the project on to somebody that needs a prop on ebay.

DarkJedi
12-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Nice build looks solid with a good design. Can't wait for your next the one ,the one you wanted it to look like.

anchornm
12-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Nice build looks solid with a good design. Can't wait for your next the one ,the one you wanted it to look like.

Thanks DarkJedi... I think I will look for thinner shroud material, maybe brass...
I don't really want to wander into the woods too far. I don't have any interest in following any specific order or character, so I will try and keep it generic.