PDA

View Full Version : Where is the fuse? I need to "replace" it

Doug
12-23-2013, 06:23 PM

I've got an ultimate fx luke rotj board and so far I've made NO modifications to it. I'm not trying to convert it to a single LED or anything, I'm just using an 8-pin ham radio jack to make the sequential LED blade removable. So the only things I've done is snipped the blade leads and soldered them to the jack, redid the soldering on the speaker, and fit it all into a rig made of washers and threaded rods.

Oh, and instead of three AA's I'm powering it with three AAA's because the three AAA holder from a flashlight happens to fit inside my 1.25 sink tube. Is this the problem? The voltage should be the same, right? what is the issue?

Don Se Wion
12-24-2013, 01:42 AM
I don't have this board around so I can only try helping going by memory.

When you reconnected the board, did you solder back both switches to the board ?

These boards have a momentary switch for the blade activation and a slider switch for the "demo" mode.
Perhaps you forgot the slider and the saber turns on few seconds and then shut down again ?

Normally the slider is removed and the two pads on the board are shorted with a piece of wire.
Try checking the thread for the conversion of this board, you'll easily find what I'm talking about.

Doug
12-24-2013, 08:24 AM
I never took it off, the slider happened to fit through the washer so i didn't mess with it yet.

I think i might have blown a fuse or a trace or something, but i don't know what those things look like or where they would be on the chip

Doug
12-24-2013, 10:26 AM

When it's off four LED's on the end that light up, and when it's on every other one EXCEPT the four end ones light up.

This is new to me, as I hadn't had the whole thing wired up until now. I only bothered with the two first leads as a test.

I think some wires might be crossed somehow, but I never undid the hot-glue on the chip. I could tear off the glue and check it out, but it shouldn't illuminate in the off position no matter what, so this might be a symptom of another problem.