PDA

View Full Version : question about LEDs lighting a blade thoroughly.

RinzlerTron
12-12-2013, 04:57 PM
So, I'm converting my Anakin lightsaber in hopes that it will work out so I can convert my Vader.
But, I'm a bit concerned....
What kind of LED and blade should I get that would make the saber where there is no dark spot at the top? I'm a bit concerned that if I don't use some kind of LED string like what was originally used in the MR sabers, it will end up looking extremely gradient (really bright at the bottom, dark at the top) kind of like the cheap children's lightsabers....
Does anyone mind helping me discuss a blade and LED so that the blade will be bright and the light will run all the way through evenly? And yes, I HAVE read the tutorial on converting both the Anakin and Vader, but I'm still concerned that the LED it shows in the tutorial will not be bright enough and will not spread light evenly throughout the blade.

Silver Serpent
12-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Rebel Red, or Tri-Rebel RRW will light up the blade just fine. Add a few feet of clear polypropylene (clear giftwrap) rolled up in the blade, and you'll get great illumination through the whole blade. See this post on how to do it: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7274-How-to-construct-an-LED-Blade-%28or-at-least-how-I-do-it%29

RinzlerTron
12-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Rebel Red, or Tri-Rebel RRW will light up the blade just fine. Add a few feet of clear polypropylene (clear giftwrap) rolled up in the blade, and you'll get great illumination through the whole blade. See this post on how to do it: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7274-How-to-construct-an-LED-Blade-%28or-at-least-how-I-do-it%29

Awesome, thank you!
I'm really appreciating you guys help... I'm totally new to this saber stuff, and I just had to research a TON for my Vader suit, and it's a totally different type of hobby than this, so this is completely new and unusual to me....
Also, do you by any chance know which color would be better for Vader? Deep red or just plain red?

Silver Serpent
12-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Both are perfectly acceptable. The regular Red is brighter to the eyes, but the Deep Red looks better to my eyes. It's a subjective thing.

Arsies
12-15-2013, 01:34 AM
Difference between them is about intensity of the color (how pure the color is). Depp red is more intense, more pure red, but it get's that effect loosing brightness.
It's hard to explain but light colors doesn't work as pigment colors so figure that as brighter is a color, it'll looks more whiter (that's not entirely true of course, it's just to be simple). I think the difference is enought subtle to be a taste question.

I didn't tried deep red as I couldn't find it in Europe at my usuall providers but I tried for example blue and royal blue (it's about the same issue) and in fact I didn't notice so much difference. Maybe royal blue has little bit better color, but it's hard to enlight all the balde, it looks very soft in the middle against normla blue.

I used till now huey jann red leds and i'm very happy with them.

RinzlerTron
12-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Awesome, thanks to both of you! I will probably go with just normal red then, so it will light the blade better.