PDA

View Full Version : Lightside/Darkside - Two Stunt Sabers

jonkull
12-09-2013, 05:57 PM
New forum member here. I've been a Star Wars fan since the first movie was released in '77 but had no idea any of this stuff existed. After destroying several Hasbro sabers while battling my son I started googling for something sturdier and came across this site. Needless to say I've been like a kid in a candy store ever since. So many amazing saber designs/designers out there.

Anyway, I've put two stunt sabers together since October (one Jedi and one Sith) and I have more parts on order for a third (very loosely ROTJ Luke inspired - sort of). Regarding the design, I wanted something clunky and utilitarian for the light side and sleek for the dark side. I was going to weather both of them but changed my mind after doing the first one. I think I prefer the shiny look. I may do some additional sanding to the weathered one to make it cleaner. I haven't decided. There is no sound in either of these as of now but I plan on adding that as soon as I can wrap my head around chassis design. I also need to get shorter switches, drill holes for the covertec wheels, swap the socket head screws in the handle for button heads (I like the look of the socket heads but they're too big) and cut a shroud for the red saber.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the Forums! Looks great so far! As far as chassis designs go, you really need to look through the gallery and look at people's works (especially those who have done various types of chassis), to get ideas.

Yoshi-Taka
12-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Very nice builds. I like how unique they both are, from the awesomely-excessive use of O-rings (I love o-rings) to the unique choice in MHS parts (the far extension on the second saber which houses the switch). I find it very strange to see the switch nuts on the outside of the hilt. Kudos for making both of them very unique, while still distinctly Jedi and Sith.

I'm excited to see what you do with these sound-wise.

Starwinder
12-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first two stunt sabers - they look great so far! And i really like how the weathering looks on that second hilt. If it was up to me, i'd say keep it weathered, then you've got two very different sabers to show off ;)