PDA

View Full Version : How to repair very shallow scratches on lightsaber hilt?

RinzlerTron
12-09-2013, 01:45 PM
So the lightsaber I want to convert has some very shallow scratches in them... they aren't deep at all, and you can't feel them, but they ARE visible.....
Does anyone know how to fix them? Here's a picture:
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g334/RINZLERTRON/Lightsaberscratches_zps696cc065.jpg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/RINZLERTRON/media/Lightsaberscratches_zps696cc065.jpg.html)
If I can't repair it, it's no big deal... that's why it's the one I'm converting... kind of a "test" per say :)

Silver Serpent
12-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Head on down to your local auto parts store and find some really fine grit sandpaper. 1500 or 2000 grit should do the job. Do some wet sanding and those fine scratches should go away with a little work.

If that's an aluminum piece, and not just chrome plated, then you could get some Mother's Aluminum/Magnesium polish to get a nice mirror finish. Don't use the polish on plated pieces though, you'll just end up stripping off the chrome.

RinzlerTron
12-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Head on down to your local auto parts store and find some really fine grit sandpaper. 1500 or 2000 grit should do the job. Do some wet sanding and those fine scratches should go away with a little work.

If that's an aluminum piece, and not just chrome plated, then you could get some Mother's Aluminum/Magnesium polish to get a nice mirror finish. Don't use the polish on plated pieces though, you'll just end up stripping off the chrome.

Awesome, thank you so much for your help again! :D

Silver Serpent
12-09-2013, 06:40 PM
If it's chrome plated, be careful. The plating is usually very thin, and it won't take long to sand it away. Be gentle.

Sevinzol
12-10-2013, 01:28 AM
Those aren't scratches. Its weathering, you did it on purpose (you wanted it to be subtle). :D

RinzlerTron
12-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Those aren't scratches. Its weathering, you did it on purpose (you wanted it to be subtle). :D

Haha, actually I think its wear it's dropped out of my hands a few times, and or been in a corner of my room lol.

Silver Serpent
12-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I have a tungsten carbide wedding ring. ALL of my sabers develop wear and weathering before too long. :)

RinzlerTron
12-10-2013, 05:52 PM
I have a tungsten carbide wedding ring. ALL of my sabers develop wear and weathering before too long. :)

Yeah, my other saber (same one; the Anakin ROTS 2005 MR) isn't nearly as bad though. It has some minor scratches, but not as bad as this one.
Then again, this one was my brothers, and he didn't want it, so he just gave it to me since I'm into it. He grew out of it eventually, I didn't haha.

Boj-Vaati Mau
12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Use=weathering. Scratches just mean that the saber has seen more than hanging off a belt or being lovingly handed over for someone to look at. Mine have bounced off concrete, asphalt, hand and guard rails, and wood floors. They've even gotten stuck in lawns and dirt. As Jedi Bloch, of Golden Gate Knights, has said "If you don't drop your saber, you're not trying hard enough."

RinzlerTron
12-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Use=weathering. Scratches just mean that the saber has seen more than hanging off a belt or being lovingly handed over for someone to look at. Mine have bounced off concrete, asphalt, hand and guard rails, and wood floors. They've even gotten stuck in lawns and dirt. As Jedi Bloch, of Golden Gate Knights, has said "If you don't drop your saber, you're not trying hard enough."

Now I'm actually having second thoughts about trying to repair it....
I'm actually working on an ESB Vader costume right now and buying all the pieces of it from different vendors to join the 501st, and I noticed one of the emperor level requirements for the suit is that it should be weathered, so I might purposely weather my ESB Vader lightsaber when I convert it.

Silver Serpent
12-12-2013, 07:07 PM
If you've never converted a saber before, it'll probably acquire some weathering during the upgrade.

A pristine saber is lovely to look at, but you never want to play with it. Once you get the first good scratch though, it's tons of fun.

RinzlerTron
12-13-2013, 08:03 AM
If you've never converted a saber before, it'll probably acquire some weathering during the upgrade.

A pristine saber is lovely to look at, but you never want to play with it. Once you get the first good scratch though, it's tons of fun.

Yeah, well like I said, my ESB Vader will have to be weathered... but now I just have to decide what kind of weathering thst means......