PDA

View Full Version : Petit Crouton Won't function!

Renaissance Jedi
10-14-2013, 10:21 AM
So I have my petit crouton 2.0 all wired up (correctly) I put the SD card in after making the necessary changes to the config file. I pull out the kill key, the boot sound activates as it should. I activate the saber, the poweron sound plays, and then it immediately plays the boot sound again. It then plays the boot and poweron sounds in a loop until I reinsert the kill key. Why is this? Have I done something wrong?

Ty_Bomber
10-14-2013, 10:42 AM
What kind of switch are you using and what is the switch setting configured to?

Renaissance Jedi
10-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm using a latching switch, and the switch setting is set to 1.

Renaissance Jedi
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm really not sure what could be causing this issue.

amwolf
10-14-2013, 12:23 PM
With the entire wiring setup sitting outside the hilt, does it still do it? If not, you may have a grounding issue... You could also try disconnecting the main LED then powering it up. Isolate and eliminate...
Alternatively, have you tried another SD card, just in case there's something wonky there?

Renaissance Jedi
10-14-2013, 01:08 PM
There maybe something grounding out, but the wiring is so tight that I can't remove it. I did try a sound card with the workings form the PC 1.2 on it and that worked fine. I will try another sd card with the 2.0 stuff on it see if that works.

Renaissance Jedi
10-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Okay. SO it only seems to works with the sd card from the PC 1.2 or 1.5 whatever it was.

Ty_Bomber
10-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a formatting issue on the old card. Try reformatting it and see if that helps?

Renaissance Jedi
10-14-2013, 03:04 PM
How does one reformat, or even format a card?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-14-2013, 03:35 PM
How does one reformat, or even format a card?

You would have to remove the SD card, use a little card reader, and format it the same way you would reformat a floppy disk or a removable drive. The manual covers this I believe. ;)

amwolf
10-14-2013, 03:50 PM
If you've got a Mac, I don't know. They're magics to me.
If you've got Windows7 (like me), place the card into your reader (mine looks like a memory stick that plugs into a USB port). If you open "Computer" off your desktop, it'll open a window that shows all your active drives. Under "Devices with Removable Storage" there's probably a cd/dvd icon (probably called D), and one (E) that might be called Lightmeat (the spare I've got has been renamed, so I'm guessing on the original name). Below that it should say something like 1.83GB free of 1.83GB, that shows the card's overall storage capacity. Double clicking shows the list of files, but you want to Right Click over the (E) drive icon (the whole thing will light up), which calls up a menu. Down towards the bottom of the list is "Format..." and another menu will pop up. At the bottom, check "Quick Format", press Start, wait a few seconds, and you're done. Then copy the Lightmeat files back onto the drive (which for PetitCroutonLightmeat2.0 is a total of 28 files, 2 .txt and 26 wave sound files) all at once.

Darn, you FJK. Beat me to it, and my novel took so long I timed out.

Ty_Bomber
10-14-2013, 03:56 PM
This might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGv0kpMFBwA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Renaissance Jedi
10-14-2013, 04:14 PM
You would have to remove the SD card, use a little card reader, and format it the same way you would reformat a floppy disk or a removable drive. The manual covers this I believe. ;)

Unfortunately, nothing happened. Maybe I did it wrong, but I don't think so.

Renaissance Jedi
10-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks amwolf. My dumb self did not even realize that I need a card reader. I was simply plugging the card right into the computer. I hoped that would work. I need to purchase a card reader.

Renaissance Jedi
10-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Do I need a card reader?

amwolf
10-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Actually, the answer may be no. My desktop at the office has a slot in it I can plug cards into, my home one does not. If your system has a port, the procedure should be essentially the same, assuming it recognizes the card.

Renaissance Jedi
10-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Okay. Then before I accidentally do any damage, I will buy a card reader tomorrow.

Strydur
10-15-2013, 08:39 AM
I am confused.. How do you know the switch setting was at 1 unless you had a way to read the card?

Silver Serpent
10-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I was simply plugging the card right into the computer. I hoped that would work. I need to purchase a card reader.

If you can plug the card (and only the card) into your computer and read the files, then you don't need a card reader. You already have one built into your computer.

If you've just been plugging the saber in and using RICE, then that's a different story.

Renaissance Jedi
10-15-2013, 11:29 AM
I am confused.. How do you know the switch setting was at 1 unless you had a way to read the card?
I have been plugging the card directly into my computer.

Silver Serpent
10-15-2013, 11:35 AM
You have a built-in card reader. No need to purchase another one.

Renaissance Jedi
10-15-2013, 12:45 PM
You have a built-in card reader. No need to purchase another one.
Yes, I shall not purchase another. I will try reformatting the card again. see if that helps.

Renaissance Jedi
10-15-2013, 12:53 PM
For now, I have it running with a sound card that was originally in the Petit Crouton 1.5. All is working just fine with this one. it may have been the sound card.