PDA

View Full Version : My 3rd... The MKIII

dexios
09-15-2013, 02:29 AM
Hey guys, it's been a while! I had this build assembled about 8 months ago, but it didn't turn on. I completely tore it down, and it's been sitting on my workbench since (you can tell how much time I've had to work on anything this year)...

So, here's the specs:

LED Engin LZ4 10W RGGB
Petit Crouton 1.6
TCSS 7.4v Li-ion 800mAh 14500 Battery Pack
Recharge port
RICE port style 1
Aux. Switch for blaster block/blade lockup
FoC
Green ring lighted AV switch
MHS parts for hilt / Guardian pommel (Ultrasabers)
Blade in pics is 35" thin TCSS white poly, sanded, no insert

The main blade is set to green, with the FoC and blade lockup set to red. It's a bit jarring, but definitely gets people's attention. LOVE the RICE port for tuning after assembling! I sometimes keep settings I'm not 100% on for longer because I don't want to break it all down again right away, lol... Problem solved! I've been wanting to do a 'prequel' saber for a while (the Obiwan TPM is my favorite hilt)... I do plan on swapping the black thumbscrew for a red one, but I'm waiting for my next order (the only downside to one shipping option, I wish they'd add a 'padded envelope - screws and bits only' option :D).

The powder coating is matte black; the guardian pommel blends well with it. (I love the look of it, but the resonance is terrible compared to the pommels on my last two hilts. I tried drilling a few extra holes, but it didn't help. The speakers in all 3 hilts are mounted similarly.)

Let me know what you think!

MandoJoe
09-15-2013, 07:24 AM
I really like it. The balance of the design seems a little reversed, as most ribbed sections tend to be at the front of the saber, but it looks very nice. That powdercoating is just...wow. I'm drooling over here. Excellent stuff.

dexios
09-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks! I agree about the ribbed section; I tried it that way on a whim(the build was going to go the other way, originally), and I kept going back to it... The other way started looking too much like my MKI in profile, and I wanted it to be very different. The powder coating is even more amazing in person. Fair warning though, the matte will scratch if you are not careful during construction; I learned that the hard way. A piece of scrap leather worked wonders for padding after I learned that lesson! :D

Yoshi-Taka
09-15-2013, 11:33 AM
I like the position of the ribbed section for aesthetic, but it looks so awkward to hold. I hope I'm wrong, because the big extension is really comfy from what I remember, but only in the off-hand.

Ty_Bomber
09-15-2013, 12:16 PM
I really like the design, actually. I always preferred the switches up high with the grip on the lower section. Helps a lot in two-handed control, and still provides a lot of comfort if you grab the saber in the middle like I do.

dexios
09-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, guys! The top portion is fine, as long as it's held at the top, near the joint of the blade holder. Not as good held one-handed than in a two-handed grip. If maneuvered like a katana, it feels perfect... Thanks again for looking, guys!