PDA

View Full Version : Vader ESB conversion not bright?

orgymeyer
10-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Ok, well I just got finished converting my Darth Vader ESB using the kit. My LED string was damaged so this fixed up the dark spots just fine, in fact it looks brand new again.

However, I noticed some issues and wondered if they were common, and if you guys had found any solutions to these.

1. It's not very bright. I'm using the stock MR blade with a mirror at the top, but it seems to be only as bright as the old blade, seems like it should be brighter.

2. Battery life seems highly decreased. While I was wiring it, it seems the LED got dimmer, could just need some new batteries, but it seems like it drains batteries fast.

I'm using the ESB vader with the quick change plug, Vader Luxeon kit and a stock MR blade with a mirror on the tip. Tried a custom blade with a double wrap of Corbin Film, but didn't seem to get very bright.

Any suggestions for blade construction? I'm thinking of trying wax paper next, or possibly some chrome tape at the bottom of the MR blade.

Also will be trying new batteries. Are there any types I should go for, or specifically avoid? Lithium Ion, etc?

I was even toying with the idea of taking apart the battery pack to add another AA cell to up the voltage, but I don't know enough about the MR driver to risk burning out my Luxeon3.

Thanks

Firebird21
10-15-2006, 03:52 PM
I use the Energizer E2's in mine. They seem to work the best for me.

My Brother-in-law sells Energizer, so we can't even say the "D" word in his presence. :mrgreen: But I'm sure theirs work just as well.

orgymeyer
10-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Energizer E2's? I'll pick some up tonight after work (or the Dword's equivalent :) ) and give them a shot. Thanks!

xwingband
10-15-2006, 04:46 PM
What color LED did you use? Some color are less impressive... but you said you tried a Corbin blade... If batteries are a concern though you should try new ones. When the batteries are at it's lowest the saber looks like crap.

The board doesn't put out more than it did for the string so the battery life should be the same. If it's visually getting dimmer while you look at it the batteries have to have been near dead.

Assuming you didn't forget something important like a lens you just need new batteries.

orgymeyer
10-15-2006, 05:00 PM
What color LED did you use? Some color are less impressive... but you said you tried a Corbin blade... If batteries are a concern though you should try new ones. When the batteries are at it's lowest the saber looks like crap.

The board doesn't put out more than it did for the string so the battery life should be the same. If it's visually getting dimmer while you look at it the batteries have to have been near dead.

Assuming you didn't forget something important like a lens you just need new batteries.

I'm using a Red Luxeon 3 LED.

Good to know about the battery output, I think it was just the batteries I was using, since I bought new batteries the night before the kit came, but I used them for about 3 hours in duels, in two FX sabers. So they are probably close to death anyways :)

Got the lens and stuff in there, so I think all the important components are in. Here's hoping it's just the battery life.

I'll pick up some new ones tonight and see what happens, I'll try out the corbin film again too.

Incidentally, does anyone know how to remove the white stock diffuser on a FX saber blade?

Firebird21
10-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I've never done it myself, so I could be wrong, but I'm pritty sure you need to cut the end cap off to get it out.

So you'll end up just about destroying the blade.

xwingband
10-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah, three hours of dueling... that's not its brightest. When you pop in the new batteries you'll be much more impressed.

The tip does hold in the diffuser. It wouldn't be destroyed by removal but since no other tip works all that well in it you would pretty much be making it less than useful.

orgymeyer
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeah, three hours of dueling... that's not its brightest. When you pop in the new batteries you'll be much more impressed.

The tip does hold in the diffuser. It wouldn't be destroyed by removal but since no other tip works all that well in it you would pretty much be making it less than useful.

Yeah that explains why the diffuser came out so easily on my Anakin ROTS after we broke the endcap off in a drunken dueling match.

Ok, I guess it stays for now! I've got another blade I've been constructing anyways, so I'll just keep a stock MR blade around for comparision purposes.

Hehe, yeah 3 hours of dueling in a park late at night, 4 fx sabers and four of us, lots of fun games. Police came by to make sure we weren't drinking alcohol and another group of guys stopped in their car and got out to see what was going on :)

Lord Maul
10-15-2006, 09:42 PM
I've never done it myself, so I could be wrong, but I'm pritty sure you need to cut the end cap off to get it out.

right on
i did it on my ani to get rid of the centimeter dark spot at the tip

Ambo
10-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Heads up from doing a conversion and keepin an open mind i found out that the maul MR blades will fit a thick walled shouldered tip VERY well.....

james3
10-16-2006, 07:40 PM
He ain't bullsnitzin either. them new blades of MRs are not too shabby.

Did you ever measure the total length of the hilt for me?

Ambo
10-17-2006, 04:43 PM
nope.....but i have had a chance to at least put the two together....sorry...werkin it