PDA

View Full Version : luxeon tri rebel led(purple) vs led engine rgba (purple)

LeMoel
09-08-2013, 01:04 AM
does anyone know which led makes the brighter purple?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-08-2013, 08:40 AM
does anyone know which led makes the brighter purple?

The short answer is "it depends". It depends on the shade of purple you are going for (some shades appear "brighter" to the eye), and what you are using to drive it. Both are capable of making a decent (and bright) purple. The main difference is that the LedEngin's will generally take more energy to do it, while the Tri-Rebels won't.

LeMoel
09-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Thank u for ur help, i hAve another question if u dont mind answering, i have been told that the color for a purple blade doesnt mix well if ur using a ultra edge blade or trans white blade and that using a blade with just poly p mixes the color better. How true is this and does it look bad or just not as good with a trans white blade or is it just exzaggerated? thanks any knowledge would be appreciated

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Well, I mainly use VV blades. And I am happy with them. I tried a purple saber in an ultraedge and it looks ok, though the purple is a little washed out, probably because of the white of the blade. Again, these are all judgement calls.

The mixing of a color is not just all about the type (or construction) of a blade, it's also which optics you use, how you drive the LEDs, etc. Those things factor in to some extent.

LeMoel
09-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Wat are vv blades or what is inside them?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Wat are vv blades or what is inside them?

VV are blades made (and sold) by Vader's Vault. They are just lightly sanded with a couple of feet of poly-p rolled up inside of it.

Silver Serpent
09-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Poly-p (clear giftwrap) does work wonders for color mixing. Whether you choose a clear blade, or a trans-white blade, I'd definitely use a few feet of poly-p inside the blade to help mix the colors for a great purple.

chicago.jedi
09-09-2013, 09:03 AM
I can attest to this. I did this to my Corbin blade. I got the clear wrapping paper from a craft store, rolled up about 18 inches of it, and slid it inside. Instant difference. The cool part is that it evened out the color along the entire blade but also left just enough of the "core" effect visible. This was one of the best and cheapest fixes ever.

FenderBender
09-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Any 'white' blade, whether Ultraedge or the Transwhite here, will give an 'Easter egg' effect to certain colors. The trade off is that the blade is VERY full looking. This is why we sand our blades to give a similar full effect without compromising the shade or brightness. I will say that the Transwhite sold here is more translucent than the Ultraedge so doesn't shave brightness or affect shade as bad. For a 32-36" I use about 5ft of Poly-P inside.

On the LEDs, in my testing I have found the Tri's to be brighter and they generate a LOT less heat and use less power than the LEDengins for purple. I haven't used a LEDengin in about a year now.

Leo
11-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Now I don't know if you guys will recieve this so i'll probably end up talking to no one, but if you do I have a very pressing question regarding purple.

So I am new to the whole saber building thing and I really want to start working with my hands and building from the ground up (I've modified and repaired my friends PC's before so I'm not awful with electronics but sabers are a whole new medium).

I've watched a plethora of videos on how the LED system works and I'm still not 100% sure on how everything works exactly and I don't want to spend 70 bucks on a lighting unit only to break it. I am aware that I can purchase solid colour pre-made Lighting units on the site, but I can't find purple anywhere. I was wondering if anybody could take a picture of the electronic schematic of their purple saber and send it to me. Specifically the lighting unit, I'd like to see how one could obtain a rich violet hue.

This would be my first saber build. I'm going for a Mace Windu inspired build. A newbies best attempt at electrum metal and a violet hue seeing as that is what my fan fiction character's blade(s) looks like. I also cannot afford sound at the moment as I have a lot of other things to buy at the moment. Astro's, PS4 Destiny special edition, and a new PC - yes I'm a 16 year old working two jobs, that's why I can afford all that. So far this is what I was thinking...

Hilt: Style 3 with guarded switch hole (Powder coated Gold style 2)
LED Blade Holder: Style 13 (sun Gold)
Extension: Double Male with slots (I was hoping to put a 'crystal' in there looking to replicate Windu's Guile - The cystal found on Hurrikaine that is violet coloured)
AV Switch: White (Unless I can make that purple as well)

I'm hoping to add sound in the near future. Essentially what I'm asking for is a saber similar to this. Now keep in mind not NEARLY as intricate. Just a small crystal showing, illuminated by basic LEDs and a nice vibrant purple hue. Also a violet AV switch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ily5-gDSHIk

Skip to 8:34 for AV switch concept

Skip to 8:49 for blade hue and crystal CONCEPT. I WILL NOT ATTEMPT SOMETHING SO BADASS FOR SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF TIME. Just having a crystal illuminated by a secondary LED. I just need to know how to go about doing that.

As I said before, I want to get a nice juicy saber before I add sound.

If you guys think this is a little adventurous for a 16 year old newbie, I'll most likely start with the Blue, and keep it basic. Although I'd still like to know how to get a juicy purple.

A lot of posts in one but you guys seem to know your stuff so I hope you can help :D

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-01-2013, 01:44 PM
First off, Welcome to the Forums Leo.

The Arod Megil is a great saber. So to answer your questions...

There is no purple LED, to get the color purple, we mix red and blue together. There are certain sound cards (Crystal Focus Version 6) which help tune in the color to the your perfect shade. Manually mixing the color is possible, you would have to experiment a lot with resistors on the red to get the shade that you want. You would need a Tri-Rebel R/G/B or a LedEngin RGBA or RGBW.

At the moment, purple AV's are NOT sold in the store, though that might change. IIRC, the AV switch in that video was custom made by FenderBender. He might be along sometime to chime in, as he did build that particular saber. ;)

Good Luck.

FenderBender
11-01-2013, 02:48 PM
If you're going with a Tri-Rebel or Cree, you HAVE to make sure the blue is a Royal Blue. The regular blue is too pale and has too much 'green' in it to mix properly. How you mix it will depend largely on your power source. The accent LED for backlighting the crystal chamber is easy. Arod Megil....and pretty much every single saber I've built with a crystal chamber that's purple, uses a 5mm violet LED that I get from LEDSupply. Purple AV's can be made, but it's not for the faint of heart or someone just starting out learning how to solder etc. We have finally found a manufacturer to make purple AV's for us, but we are only able to order enough for our builds at this time. I'm sure Tim will carry them in the store soon enough ;)

Get us a little more info on your power source and how you're going to be wiring the saber up and I'll help you get some nice Purple :D