PDA

View Full Version : Light & Sound While Charging

Ninja
09-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Hello all!

So I want to plug in my charger to my lithium ion battery and still be able to have light and sound going on my saber. What would I need to do to make this happen? Thanks! :twisted:
Ninja

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Hello all!

So I want to plug in my charger to my lithium ion battery and still be able to have light and sound going on my saber. What would I need to do to make this happen? Thanks! :twisted:
Ninja

First, Welcome to the Forums. To answer your question, it doesn't work that way if you are using a recharge port. If you are not using a recharge port, just have extra charged battery packs. ;)

Ninja
09-04-2013, 10:38 PM
First, Welcome to the Forums. To answer your question, it doesn't work that way if you are using a recharge port. If you are not using a recharge port, just have extra charged battery packs. ;)

Yeah, I know it's not supposed to work that way, but what I'm wondering is how I can make it work. It's important. I'm using my laptop right now and it is plugged in and charging. So I know that somehow it can be done. I need to have answers not someone telling me it can't be done. Thank you.

Caine Drathul
09-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I know it's not supposed to work that way, but what I'm wondering is how I can make it work. It's important. I'm using my laptop right now and it is plugged in and charging. So I know that somehow it can be done. I need to have answers not someone telling me it can't be done. Thank you.

Where did you see this done at to make you think it can be done? Enlighten us experienced folk, please.

Oh, and snapping at a member who is trying to help you isn't the best way to start out on a forum, especially after said member gave you a nice welcome to said forum, dude. People will be less likely to help you if you are the snippy type.

Silver Serpent
09-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Well, you *can* wire up the recharge port so that it doesn't cut power to the saber while it's being charged. That doesn't mean that you *should*.

A li-ion charger won't necessarily provide the proper voltage to run the saber, but it will charge the batteries. If you wire it up so that the saber can remain on while plugged in, you run the risk of damaging your expensive electronics.

Your laptop has a lot more protection and voltage regulation circuits inside it. It was also designed to be run from either the wall, or the battery. Our sabers are not designed that way.

You could design your saber so that it runs off of a DC adapter that you plug into the wall, but getting it to run both on AND off wall power will take some significant work.

Sunrider
09-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Way too complicated to get into. Especially for a beginner.

Ninja
09-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks silver serpent, I will figure it out. I'm no beginner. And lighten up Caine Dathul, I don't like being told what I can't do.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Well, like Caine and others have said, a laptop is designed to work while "plugged in", lightsabers are not. You might want to heed some of Caine's advice - it might help you in the long run. ;)

Sevinzol
09-05-2013, 08:35 PM
wow man why don't you go take a night class in electronics instead of coming here and blasting people because they didn't rush right out and spoonfeed you a wiring diagram.

Caine Drathul
09-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks silver serpent, I will figure it out. I'm no beginner. And lighten up Caine Dathul, I don't like being told what I can't do.

Wow...you sure told me, son. :rolleyes:

Starwinder
09-06-2013, 06:18 AM

LOL! :p

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-06-2013, 07:18 AM

*FJK high five's Caine* :D

Ninja
09-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Siths are weak. I guess my question was a little to complicated for you guys. I got it.

Ty_Bomber
09-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Hey Ninja,

Sorry we don't have the answers you seek, but I think it is unfair to make blanket statements like that on the intelligence of this community. We have many experienced people on these forums (like Sunrider) who understand exactly what you are trying to do, and they offered their advice. Silver Serpent said it best- it shouldn't be done as the electronics we use aren't made for the purpose you are asking. Sunrider has done amazing, extraordinary things with sabers (look at his threads) and if he says it's too complicated, it's too complicated. Give us the benefit of the doubt.

A lot of new people think that we are a bunch of cliquey know-it-alls who like to keep secrets so n00bs can't be successful. That is plainly false. We do however, shut down when people tell us to that we need to tell them how to do such in such, while ignoring our advice on whether it should be done in the first place.

I have always thought of this forum as a Library. Like many cultures, I believe Libraries to be sacred ground.

I see the people in the forums as librarians. We will point you to the information you are seeking, and occassionally offer our own research and results for other scholars in this hobby. What we will not do is do your research for you, or transcribe what has already been written in your help wanted thread for your convenience. That is spoonfeeding. It is not acceptable to ask a librarian how to change your alternator on your car or replace your hard drive with an SSD. If the librarian doesn't have your answer, it isn't because the librarian isn't intelligent or doesn't like you. It just means it isn't their job.

Please don't take this personally. You aren't the only person who has been frustrated by the fact that what they wanted wasn't feasible with the current technology, and a "work-around" wasn't offered by people the people here to make your task any easier. We will help if we can, and we just can't help you. The tech we use simply doesn't allow it, and a work-around hasn't been carefully researched yet. I suggest that if you solicit advice from people here in the future, you accept the advice offered, and take the initiative to find your own solutions, rather than get angry at those more experienced than you that don't have them.

Good luck with your build.

Silver Serpent
09-06-2013, 06:17 PM
I think Ty said most of what I was thinking.

I could build a saber that runs off wall power. I have built sabers that run off li-ion. Building one that runs off both is going to be fairly complicated, or ugly and hacked together.

I will give you a link that you might find useful: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/ I have learned a reasonable amount of electronics information from there. You might learn enough to do what you're trying to accomplish.

Good luck with your build.

Ninja
09-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Thank you Silver Serpent for the link. I think it can be done and if anyone is interested I'd be happy to post what I discover. May the Force Be With You!