PDA

View Full Version : nano biscotte reboot

Arsies
08-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi, I just wired my first saber with sound using a nano biscotte.

Everything goes right, i'm using the easier wiring scheme without kill option or switch.
I plugged the batteries and the start sound begins. Press the button and led and sound starts, I can move, swing clash.. etc, pressing again everything turns off as suposed to be.

BUT sometimes it just reboot itself. The led and sound turn off and inmediatly the start sound is played. If i press the button the saber turns on again.

I checked my wiring, rewired everything, changed some wires to be sure.... everything is fine.
Looked at forum and saw that somedooby had the same issue as I have when the resume is on (I supose "on"="1"), but my config said "0" (I'm using deefault config file).

Someone said that could be a corrupted SD card, so i formated it. As problem persists i changed the sd for one of my own.

I just don't know what to do now.

Machinimax
08-29-2013, 01:17 PM
If the SD is corrupted, it means you will need a new one altogether but they are very cheap. However, before you do that, try fully charging the batteries first. It might be a current consumption issue.

PsHADeadGuy
08-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Are you using the wiring harness for the Nano Biscotte?

If so, I actually found out that the wires for the battery and LED that go to the first pin were loose. Thus everyonce in a while my battery would disconnect, then reconnect playing the boot sound again. I ended up removing the harness and just soldering everything directly to the board.

Arsies
08-29-2013, 02:31 PM
If the SD is corrupted, it means you will need a new one altogether but they are very cheap. However, before you do that, try fully charging the batteries first. It might be a current consumption issue.

I did, I changed The SD for another one of my own and problem persists.

So could be a current prroblem? I'm using 3x AAA alkalines and they are not new as those are my wiring testing ones. I'll replace them for 3 new ones tomorrow to see. I thought that if battery was empty the saber should turn off completely instead of having this kind of issues.

Are you using the wiring harness for the Nano Biscotte?

If so, I actually found out that the wires for the battery and LED that go to the first pin were loose. Thus everyonce in a while my battery would disconnect, then reconnect playing the boot sound again. I ended up removing the harness and just soldering everything directly to the board.

I did direct soldering (two times as I thought it was my fault first time).

PsHADeadGuy
08-29-2013, 02:46 PM
It's possible that if the batteries are low then they may not be supplying a stable current. Could be fluctuating a bit.

Machinimax
08-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Just a question of curiosity, is there a reason why you went with a AAA battery setup rather than a single Li-Ion?

Ty_Bomber
08-29-2013, 08:13 PM
I can answer this for you Max. He is in Spain, and li-ions are a little harder to come by.

Machinimax
08-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Gotcha!

Arsies
08-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Just a question of curiosity, is there a reason why you went with a AAA battery setup rather than a single Li-Ion?

Yep but that's not the only reason.

LEDs are hard to get too (at least at reasonable costs, in a shop asked me for around 15 $ for a 3W white led, and that was the only one that have them locally without internet), so I managed to get 5W leds that run at 4,5V for less that 8$ so I bought them. Are incredible bright, but a single Li-Ion haven't enought V to run them.

Now I found another shop that have 3W leds working at 3.2V, so I'll try for next sabers, the problem is that I'm building 6 with the 5W LEDs, at least other 5 havne't sound so I hope I'm not going to have that kind of issues.

Arsies
08-30-2013, 06:47 AM
ok seems that my question was much more simpler than I thought.

I replaced the batteriies for 3 new ones and problem solved at last till now. Thank you so much for your replies, now I have a new alert for batteries. if NB reboots... change the batteries :)

Kyaryo Ysoyav
08-30-2013, 07:51 AM
I have had similar things happen with a PC 2.0 and li-ion batteries. Always a good way to know you need to change/recharge batteries! :)

Arryck Corso
08-31-2013, 07:56 AM
Seems like you got this figured out but I think it's worth repeating. The NB and PC will start doing some weird things when the batteries get low. This is due to the fact that your main LED is still pulling current from a battery that just can't supply it. As a result the board is not getting the right amount of juice it needs to operate correctly. This results in the saber cuttin in and out, unwanted swing/clash sounds and eventually the saber just shuts off. Many people tend to forget that the board itself needs juice to so that it can perform its job.