PDA

View Full Version : Weathering Technique

Evilpancreas
08-23-2013, 01:39 PM
I stumbled on this technique for weathering metal and wondered if it would work with aluminium lightsaber hilts. The process is simple, you cover the metal in oil and hold it over a fire. I'm not sure what type of oil, but the one used is black and fairly thick. I found this by accident watching a Dark Souls 2 armor making trailer. About 6 minutes into the video he does it. If anyone knows what type of oil that is or has tried this method please do tell.

Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C0_AwGw5Tqo#t=359

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-23-2013, 01:47 PM
There have been many different techniques for weathering sabers... Here is one, you can use the search button for the others.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?6292-Weathering-tutorial-(w-olive-oil)&highlight=olive

Evilpancreas
08-23-2013, 01:51 PM
I am aware that there are many different ways to do it, I was just wondering if anyone has seen this method. I know about the oil technique, but that gives the hilt a steampunk look. In this way you literally cover the piece in oil then place it in a flame. The metal gets a look similar to the gun-bluing method.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Nope. Haven't seen that one. The only way I know of to get that look is to use Liquid Gun Blue.

Silver Serpent
08-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Looks like used motor oil to me. I don't know that chain mail is typically made from aluminum. I think the links are usually done with some form of steel. In any case, applying motor oil and then burning it off will tend to leave a coat of sticky soot all over the metal. If you tried that with a saber, it would wear off very quickly on gripping surfaces unless you seal it. I'd also be careful of tossing aluminum in a fire. You can burn aluminum without too much difficulty.

Aluminum black is generally a more effective method of darkening aluminum.

chicago.jedi
08-24-2013, 09:00 PM
I am aware that there are many different ways to do it, I was just wondering if anyone has seen this method. I know about the oil technique, but that gives the hilt a steampunk look. In this way you literally cover the piece in oil then place it in a flame. The metal gets a look similar to the gun-bluing method.

I can offer something here about oil treatments. I tried the olive oil and oven method (the one I think you are calling the steampunk finish). It was kind of messy, set my smoke detectors off, and I did not care for the finish. So, I used steal wool to remove it.

I then did the Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black and loved the finish. The cool thing, (and this was unintentional), was that some of the old olive oil finish stayed in the groves. I did not notice this before putting on the Aluminum Black. The final effect kind of looks like gold inlay. The olive oil gives a yellowish finish that is in the grooves and the black is on the raised surfaces. It is really kind of cool. Not sure if I could duplicate it on purpose, but it was a nice surprise.