PDA

View Full Version : My First Lightsaber...

methos
10-13-2006, 07:13 PM
and i've officially confused myself totally.

i've been bouncing back between here and corbins components, and i have to stop myself before i go insane trying to figure out what i need to get this blasted thign wired and working.

while i'm no stranger to wiring and the like, this stuff illudes me. i have no clue what i need, and my brain is too fried to try to scout for into through the forum. so here my deal:

i bought a custom EL blade-ready RLSA g saber hilt, and i want to make it goo vrooom and zooom. i hope to have in it:

-a 3w led, so it will be good and bright
-a force resonator(vibration unit)
-rechargable battery with charger port hidden on the bottom of the pommel.

what are the parts i will need to accomplish all of this? since my hilt is set up for the .75" el blade, it sorta killed my hope for a striaght led kit. also, what kind of switch will i need? momemtary or dspt?

i'm so confused :?

xwingband
10-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Well... it'd be a heck of a lot easier to get EL in there... as that's what it's made for.

Yoihalic should be able to give first hand experience as to converting them as I think he's done two RSLA sabers now.

For wiring... we'd need more info to suggest stuff. You mention Corbin's stuff... you going to use his board? That would change things compared to a resistored setup. Especially on the action for the resonator (cool little things BTW).

I CAN tell you about the recharge port. If you just want the port and no fance LED "charging" light it's literally a splice into the power wires and nothing else. You just need to buy the port and jack with a charger. I can detail that more if you need to.

methos
10-13-2006, 08:00 PM
yes, i do believe i will be using corbins board, as it has a kool list of effects.

but for most of corbins wiring scems, it has a second switch. i just want one to keep it simple, as i like a clean look, i was originally going to turn the pommel itself into a rotory switch, but since i hate changing batteries, i can save that for the next saber.

i just want something sturdy enough to do some full contact dueling, and some touch sparring.

also, i'm looking to use this switch: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062519&cp=2032058.2032230.2032278&parentPage=family

xwingband
10-13-2006, 08:11 PM
You don't need the second switch.

Good to hear you want to use the board though. You don't need the second switch if you use a shock sensor. Then you could wire it so that the shock sensor would make the resonator kick.

Unless you want it constantly on. Then that would be different.

methos
10-13-2006, 08:28 PM
i do want it constantly on. could i use the shcok sensor to have the kick when it turns on and off and on clashes and the such, and wiring it to the switch to keep it constantly on?

and were can i fidn the parts for the recharge port, adapter, and correct voltage battery?

xwingband
10-13-2006, 08:36 PM
As far as I know you can't have the constant and kick at the same time... it's either or. If you want constant you run it off of the switch. For just kick with the clash you run it from the sensor.

Radioshack will have an assortment of the ports and jacks you'd need for the recharge. They're kind of sucky on charges though... they only have voltage and amperage specific ones. I bought a smart charger online because I use it for multiple uses.

methos
10-13-2006, 08:44 PM
which do you think will have theb etter effect, the constant hum or the sensor kick?

do you have a link to the charger port and charger itself? i cant seem to find any.

darthdan
10-13-2006, 11:09 PM
hey methos,
I asked corbin about using the resonator on all the time, and he said that he probably would not recommend it because it would suck up batteries like crazy. Not saying you can't do it but it might reduce your battery life down to like 25%...

methos
10-15-2006, 01:47 PM
ok, so i've widdled it down to just having the force resonator give a kick when it turns on, when it turns off, and clashes and the like.

so to recap, i'm getting the force resonator, and corbins board. what else do i need?

987654321a
10-15-2006, 01:49 PM
hey what does a force resonator do?

methos
10-15-2006, 01:50 PM
its a vibration unit, like what makes the ps2 controllers shake

987654321a
10-15-2006, 01:56 PM
yeah but why do you want it? why would you want your saber to vibrate?

methos
10-15-2006, 01:59 PM
authenticity mostly, hough i have been debating there with get it or not seeing i'm gonna be using a pvs sled thing. and if i got the sound baord and di that instead, were would i put the speaker.

987654321a
10-15-2006, 02:21 PM
you can just put the speaker on the endcap of your saber.

methos
10-15-2006, 03:06 PM
the endcap is .5" of solid aluminum

987654321a
10-15-2006, 03:07 PM
well then drill holes through it with a drill press or get someone close you know that has one.

methos
10-15-2006, 03:10 PM
both options are out sadly, as i wanted ot put the recharge port in the bottom of the pommel, thats why i wanted to do the force resonator. drill one hole yes, many, well, thats a bigger favor to ask

Firebird21
10-15-2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/vents1.jpg

Go here (http://thecustomsa.web133.discountasp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621)for more info.

methos
10-15-2006, 05:47 PM
bah, i'm making this waaay to complicated for my first light saber, i think just the blade setup and a rechargable battery with recharge port will suffice. so besides corbins board and my switch, what do i need?

Lord Maul
10-15-2006, 08:55 PM
basic electronics package and a led

methos
10-15-2006, 09:34 PM
but i'm gonna use corbins board and try to fit in battery recharge port, will i still need the inverter?

darthdan
10-15-2006, 09:39 PM
There is no inverter with LED. There is a resistor, but I believe Corbin's board acts as a resistor.

methos
10-15-2006, 09:44 PM
ok, so let me get this right before i go buying stuff.

i'll need:

-corbins board
-led w/optic
-switch
-battery holder
-charger and port

what about the blade holder with the female 1/4", should i fashion it lowes style? how will the light get to it from the led in the blade holder is infront of it?

Lord Maul
10-15-2006, 09:47 PM
get some 18 gauge wire and you're good to go

methos
10-15-2006, 09:53 PM
ok, wire is good...

should i just look at the tutorial and see how and/or were i should put the blade holder

Jedi-Loreen
10-15-2006, 10:19 PM
The blade holder goes on the end. :wink:

I don't know what you're talking about here: "what about the blade holder with the female 1/4", should i fashion it lowes style? how will the light get to it from the led in the blade holder is infront of it?" http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/confused0082.gif

What LED are your talking about? An accent LED? You don't light up and EL blade with an LED.

james3
10-16-2006, 06:04 AM
I think the problem here is since this is the EL section we are coming in thinking EL and getting all confused. This probally would have been MUCH better in the LED section. Anywho...

Yoi is the guy who really needs to chime in here since he is our main 3/4" LED/ RSLA guy. Dude has two or three 3/4" LED sabers now and from the pics they look good.

If you have room in the hilt for all the goodies then I say do it up but if space is an issue like some of the "EL Ready" hilts that have been done then you need to be creative. There are some great LED setups that take hardly any space at all and still give you good output, you just dont get the bling.

Like xwing said before, if your just doing a basic recharge and not getting tricky, then there is nothing to it.

And I think that it would help to stop looking at EL tutorials if your going LED. Like wise if your going EL then all the crap we have been talkin about 'cept for the charger is worthless.

methos
10-16-2006, 07:11 AM
ok ok, i think i got the point of confusion here...

so its for the led thing. now i think i have the basic construction down and a good idea on what i have to do, i just need a blade. i was going to get there thicker 40", but its 1" dia, and my emitter hole is only .75" dia. that, is the part were i need help.

james3
10-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Corbin makes 3/4" blades custom order only.

You could get Tim's 3/4" blade and diffuser and that would look right good too.

edit- you may also want to go 36" or shorter so that you don't get the floppy noodle effect.

methos
10-16-2006, 07:41 AM
what if i get rlsa to make a 1" blade holder then? then all i would have to do is just get a led setup....... i dotn see a led holder anywere, am i missing something on the site, or should i just make my own?

I GET IT NOW!!! wow gotta hate confusion, i got it now, i know what i have to do, thank all of you for the help.

xwingband
10-16-2006, 08:04 AM
You can just ask RLSA for their LED stuff... they do sell LED sabers now in their G-style sabers. In fact I don't think they do EL anymore. Their LED kit would actually have all you'd need and should work seamlessly. Adding a recharge port would be pretty simple.

james3
10-16-2006, 08:07 AM
Thank you xwing. :wink:

methos
10-16-2006, 08:07 AM
i did ash him for his kit, but he said he doesnt sell them separately.....

xwingband
10-16-2006, 08:14 AM
I guess that's so he doesn't have trouble shoot people who don't install it correctly.

You can at least buy the blade from RLSA and not have to get anything extra machined. Then you could get the driver and film seperatly elsewhere. I'm not sure how much Corbin would have. He mentioned his PolyC stock being low to me, but you might luck out and he'll have a 3/4" blade.

Otherwise you could order the PolyC from somewhere like McMaster-Carr.

methos
10-16-2006, 08:19 AM
what i was thinking of doing was just have rlsa machine a 1"dia emitter so i dont have to worry about all the fuss, that was i can just order the stuff i want and not have ot settle.

that, and were can i get a led holder?

xwingband
10-16-2006, 08:26 AM
You're going to have to convince RLSA to make an LED holder for you or have Tim do it as a custom job.

I get them only wanting to sell installed systems, but they need to give a little especially since you did already buy a saber.

james3
10-16-2006, 08:27 AM
TCSS if RSLA won't make ya one.

edit-Dang your on thr trigger today bud.

methos
10-16-2006, 08:32 AM
the emitter is just a length of pipe that fits inside the hilt at the mouth to put the blade through, hoppefully he'll make another one for me.

that and i need the housing the led actually sits in, is that driver of some sort?

xwingband
10-16-2006, 08:39 AM
The heatsink? That's something again you'd have to convince them to give you or have Tim make as a custom.

Based on how you say it I can't imagine it would be that difficult for them to do it. There stuff is all rather generic. Making a new pipe for the holder should be easy. Their heatsink looks like a block, not the best but easy to machine.

methos
10-16-2006, 08:52 AM
i see tim has one ,but its thread on. maybe i should just convince rlsa to give me a led kit and a 1" emitter?

Yoiaholic
10-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Or you could just send your saber back to him and I'm sure he'd install it for you. Rob is a really good guy to deal with, I'm on my 7th saber from RLSA now.

X-wing also has good advice. Everything he sells can be purchased from other places if need be.

methos
10-16-2006, 09:43 AM
even rlsa said he got most of his stuff at corbins.

ok, so i'll stick with the .75" blade, for now, atleast with this one.

so i'm getting the blade from corbin

the board, wires, led, optic w/lense, battery from tcss

switch from radio shack

all i need is the heat sink.

Yoiaholic
10-16-2006, 09:56 AM
look at my post in the EL blades section. 3/4 is really the way to go for the best of both worlds.

methos
10-16-2006, 10:04 AM
i checked the post, tis very true. i just need a blasted heat sink for it!

james3
10-16-2006, 10:06 AM
6 posts up

methos
10-16-2006, 10:49 AM
ok, after talking to corbin, and seeing pictures of a lit .75" blade with a led, i think i'll just go with the 1" blade, its just easier. i'll have rlsa make me another emitter and a heat sink. geez what a morning...

methos
10-19-2006, 08:25 PM
time for a update!

just sent out the hilt to RLSA to get a new 1" emitter, and a custom heat sink for my led seetup. i also just took an order from corbin for oh, just about everything, excluding the board and blade. oh i love it when a plan comes together

Jay-gon Jinn
01-17-2007, 11:14 AM
So how did this turn out? I have one of these myself:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/blue-el-saber-1.jpghttp://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/blue-el-saber-2.jpg
I'd also like to try and convert it over to a lux LED set-up. I assume a 3/4" blade didn't light up as well as a 1"?

methos
01-17-2007, 08:50 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/methos5150/ls1.jpg

that is the finished product, i still need to buy a blade, but that will come

987654321a
01-17-2007, 10:12 PM
i love you.. :shock: :lol: haha i was jk but that thing is super cool

methos
01-17-2007, 10:25 PM
i...i...(i love you too)

i agree, i'm very pleased with it. next, FOOD CAPSULES!!!!!

Jay-gon Jinn
01-18-2007, 02:15 AM
That looks like it turned out nice!