PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Nano Biscotte

PsHADeadGuy
08-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Okay, so this may be the wrong area, but I figure its either related to sound or electrical. I'm at work currently so I won't be able to take any photos till I get back home later.

Basically, I had my saber apart trying to make my wiring a little more efficient by shortening some of the wires that didn't need to be a foot long. So I had everything wired together using the JST connectors, everything was working before I shortened the cables. I wired everything back up, plugged in the battery, got the nice boot sound from the speaker that I love hearing. So I pressed the power button to turn on the saber. It came on, but sadly I bumped the speaker, it slid too close to the battery, and the magnet stuck to the battery (the 3.7V Lithium Ion battery pack in the store). The speaker crackled, and the saber almost immediately shut down.

The sound card "looks" okay to me, but I'm no expert. Is it possible I fried either it or the SD card? Did I possibly short out the battery? I tried two other speakers, but I get nothing. Power button won't even light up the LED now.

Any suggestions? I've already sent Zook a message about possible repairs of the NB.

Thanks for any help guys. I'm hoping one of you might be able to tell me something like "Oh the battery just got drained on contact" or something like that, though I've got a feeling its probably more painful than that lol.

~Ryan

Silver Serpent
08-22-2013, 02:14 PM
It's possible you only tripped the PCB on the battery. Pop it on the charger for a few seconds, and then try to use the saber again.

PsHADeadGuy
08-22-2013, 02:26 PM
That would literally be awesome if that is the case. I will throw it on the charger as soon as I get home to see if it works.

Thanks!
~Ryan

PsHADeadGuy
08-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Sorry for the double post but that worked! I've got sound and lights again! Thanks so much!

Now I just need to fix the loose cable in the pre-wired wiring harness. If I rustle the battery or LED cables at all, I lose power and it plays the boot sound again. I'll have to mess with that later. But again, thanks for the suggestion Silver Serpent!
~Ryan

Silver Serpent
08-23-2013, 04:36 AM
Glad to hear it's working again. Sometimes you get lucky and it's a simple fix.

Take care when resoldering the wiring harness. Those boards are small, and it's easy to accidentally bridge a connection.

PsHADeadGuy
08-26-2013, 10:14 PM
I've got everything wired back up, and its currently working great! Even got my recharge port wired up correctly this time around. I'll post some pics soon, though I've got some modifications I would like to make.

First, I need to replace the speaker. I've just got a cheap crappy speaker from a local shop in there. I think its like a .5 watt or MAYBE a 1 watt speaker. I'd like to replace it with the Premium or possibly the Bass speaker from the shop.

Secondly, I'd like to replace my plain switch with one of the illuminated switches. Though, now that I've got my Nano wired up just right, it might be more trouble than its worth.

Third, I'm really interested in making a shroud for my saber. The hilt just seems a little bare to me right now. I think painting the main grip black, and then cutting up my sinktube into an interesting shroud would really add to the look. I've been playing around with some ideas in Photoshop. Might post some of those later, but I think having a two tone hilt will be more aesthetically pleasing to me than a simple silver hilt. Though I have seen some really elegant silver sabers, its just not right for me.

Lastly, and possibly part of the shroud step, I'll need to tap at least one hole into the hilt for the Covertec knob, but I may do another for another knob or an accent LED or something. BUT, with another LED I get to the same issue as replacing the switch. How much will I need to rewire to make it work, and will it be worth it to me in the end? The answer is probably yes, but my soldering skills are not very good, and I'm always a little afraid I'll mess something up. Not to mention, my basic knowledge of electrical circuits is VERY basic. I know just enough to be dangerous lol.

Anyways, thanks for all your help Silver Serpent, you're awesome!

~Ryan