PDA

View Full Version : new to this please help

e13azar
08-21-2013, 11:59 AM
hey guys im new to this and was hopeing to get some advice/help
just recieved my grab bags from ultrasaber and was looking for ways to improve them or change it up a lil.\
got the Dominix LE v3, and the Reaper.
absolutly love the reaper but im having trouble matching up the hilt designs. tried using orings which work but cause it to be a lil wobbley. any sugestions?
also looking for ways of spicing it up a lil.
thought about gutting my kid's force fx and pulling out the cards to put in my ultrasabers. but im sure they wouldnt be happy with that. would also like to get a led momentary switch. saw some on ebay with cool colors and designs.... what do you think?

would also like to change the color of the dominix its kinda a pale blue and doesnt look right against the green of the reaper.

thanks in advance.
E13

Silver Serpent
08-21-2013, 12:21 PM
The advice you're likely to receive here: Start from scratch and build your own.

Some of the parts from your sabers might be reusable, others may not. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/mhsbuilder.php is a great tool for planning out your hilt design. There are several different sound boards available that do not require you to scavenge them from your kid's sabers. The Petit Crouton and the Nano Biscotte are both very popular and easy to use sound boards.

Read through the sticky posts here and get a feel for what is involved in building a basic saber. Depending on what skills you already possess, you should be able to assemble your own saber from scratch without too much trouble.

e13azar
08-22-2013, 10:53 AM
The advice you're likely to receive here: Start from scratch and build your own.

Some of the parts from your sabers might be reusable, others may not. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/mhsbuilder.php is a great tool for planning out your hilt design. There are several different sound boards available that do not require you to scavenge them from your kid's sabers. The Petit Crouton and the Nano Biscotte are both very popular and easy to use sound boards.

Read through the sticky posts here and get a feel for what is involved in building a basic saber. Depending on what skills you already possess, you should be able to assemble your own saber from scratch without too much trouble.

thanks. im not sure if i want to scavage my sabers either, i like them alot.... i would like to just kinda "pimp" them out lol.
i do want to build my own some time...money is the only factor there.
i do have some experience in soldering and wiring , so thats not a problem.
i was looking at the petit crouton to put in at least one of my sabers, maybe a bday present to myself.
thanks for pointing me to the saber builder program that thing is awesome. my only problem now is not choosing every part i like at once. built one yesterday with the program and it was 16' long. maybe a lil too big.
E13

Silver Serpent
08-22-2013, 11:41 AM
I think we all start out like that. There's just too many awesome parts to choose from.

Personally, I try to keep my sabers around 12" long, give or take a couple inches. If I go too long, it better be a saberstaff, or for a two-handed grip. If I go too short, it gets difficult to fit all the electronics inside. Trust me, you run out of room VERY fast in a saber.

For "pimping out" a premade saber, the most I'd probably do is a new paint job. Anything else can quickly snowball into a full rebuild of all the internals.

e13azar
08-26-2013, 03:25 PM
If I wanted to change out the led on my saber do you know what all I would need? Do I just buy a new led? If so which one?

Ty_Bomber
08-26-2013, 08:49 PM
If you are referring to your main LED, yes, in order to change it you will need a new LED, and perhaps a resistor depending on the color. With regards to US, they still use reflectors instead of lenses if I recall, so a single die setup, like a P4 or rebel LED would be best. If you wanted to get flash on clash down the road, you will need a tri-rebel and custom optics holder to make it compatible with your US.

If you need to find out which resistor you should get, you will first need to know that LED you decide on, and what your battery solution is. Since you know how to solder and wire components i will assume you know how to calculate the resistor you need.

Once you have that though, you should just be able desolder the one in there and swap it out with the new one, and maybe put the resistor in line.

e13azar
08-29-2013, 07:09 PM
If you are referring to your main LED, yes, in order to change it you will need a new LED, and perhaps a resistor depending on the color. With regards to US, they still use reflectors instead of lenses if I recall, so a single die setup, like a P4 or rebel LED would be best. If you wanted to get flash on clash down the road, you will need a tri-rebel and custom optics holder to make it compatible with your US.

If you need to find out which resistor you should get, you will first need to know that LED you decide on, and what your battery solution is. Since you know how to solder and wire components i will assume you know how to calculate the resistor you need.

Once you have that though, you should just be able desolder the one in there and swap it out with the new one, and maybe put the resistor in line.

I was hoping to move to a rgb with a pot selector switch. Or maybe a purple or white. Can't decided.
Don't know anything about resistors though.