PDA

View Full Version : Basic Stunt Saber (LEDengin / Tri-Rebel Star) Wire Diagram

ScopesMapeo
07-31-2013, 10:52 AM
This diagram is based off using a LEDengin GGGG with only two of the LEDs powered (though a tri-rebel could work just as well). I have two LEDs wired in parallel. Each is run off a 1000ma buckpuck, which are in turn fed off one 18650 Li-ion 7.4V pack. I used the "basic LED buckpuck version" tutorial as a basis for this. It looks like this set-up should work well, what do you all think about it?

Silver Serpent
07-31-2013, 10:59 AM
I think you could run two LED dice in series off each buckpuck, and end up using all four of the LEDs for even more brightness.

Or just wire up two of the dice in series and only use a single buckpuck, for the same result as your diagram, but ~$15 cheaper.

The 7.4v li-ion pack and a single buckpuck is sufficent to drive two of the green dice of a LEDEngin GGGG in series. Your wiring diagram is fine, it's just overkill to use two buckpucks in that manner.

ScopesMapeo
07-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Simple is better...though I have heard it said, "anything worth doing is worth over doing" :cool:.

Caine Drathul
08-01-2013, 01:07 AM
Dumb question: Why are you using a LEDengin for a stunt? From personal experience, I can tell you that a single die Green Rebel will be far brighter than running 2 GG's in //. As for running all 4 die on 7.4 V, even with the buckpuck, that will not give you the max brightness you are looking for. You will need to double your voltage (yes, 14.8 V) to run all 4 dies at true Full Power to get max brightness out of that LED. And if your hilt isn't big enough to house that battery solution, you will not be maximizing that LED's full potential.

I am just trying to help you here, so please don't take my post as anything more than that. Whatever the case, good luck with your build.

ScopesMapeo
08-01-2013, 06:53 AM
No offense taken! Ideally I would like to run all 4 in the "full powah" configuration, but I probably wont be able to fit two 18650s in the hilt. Unless I'm misunderstanding the specifications of the LEDengin a single green LED puts out around 180 lumens at 1A...and running two of those should increase the lumen count. Whether or not that brightness is perceptible is a physics experiment. From what I've researched doubling lumens = 50% increase in perceived brightness. Either way, if I'm not happy with it, I can get a rebel and use the LEDengin for a future saber.

Silver Serpent
08-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Raw lumen value is only part of the equation when determining blade brightness. You've also got to factor in things like your optics, blade length, diffusion material, and so on. For a simple, inexpensive, and bright stunt saber, I'd go with the Tri-Rebel GGW. You can either wire the two green dice in parallel or in series (depending on your battery solution) and get fantastic brightness with very little effort. The optics with the Tri-Rebel work very well, and the Rebels are much less power hungry than the LEDEngins.

Fitting 2 18650 batteries side-by-side in a MHS hilt is not possible without modifying the MHS parts. That's the big reason you only see them in a stick pack configuration.

I would personally save the LEDEngin for a build with a Petit Crouton board. The PC has a LED driver that would help you run that LED much better than in a stunt saber.