PDA

View Full Version : best tip

Eclipse
10-13-2006, 01:23 AM
I was wondering for cutting out sink tube what would be the best bit to use on the dremel? I am going to do some practicing, but want to make a sleave for MHS. out of sink tube.

james3
10-13-2006, 06:37 AM
:?:

Can you slow down and repeat the question. Maybe I have not had enough coffee or something.

Tenric Starkindler
10-13-2006, 06:47 AM
heavy duty cut-off discs are best for cutting through sink tube. Too much pressure can break the disc so be judicious.
also a pattern taped to the tube can make the difference between a useable result and scrap metal..............

Jonitus
10-13-2006, 06:49 AM
I use the heavy duty cutoff wheel when doing ANY of my cutting. You DO NOT need to spend the outrageous sum of money for the reinforced discs.

Take small cuts at a time.

DO NOT try to make the disc follow curves...it WILL break

Cut in straight lines.

At lower speeds the face of the disc can serve as a grinding wheel to get your cuts closer to your drawn lines.

Use an 80-grit sanding drum to sand your cuts to nearly final shape.

DO NOT bury the cutting wheel and try to cut along your line. IT WILL jump out of the groove and scratch the crap out of your sinktube. Trace your lines lightly, then go over them again and again until you cut through the tube.

TAKE YOUR TIME! Figure out how long you THINK it will take, then multiply by a factor of 5 to get an idea of how long it will take to do a GOOD job.

Finish up all your cuts with sandpaper by hand, and lightly sand the edges to knock of the sharp ridge.

If you do everything right, a single cutoff whell can last for an entire sinktube. I cut 3 Graflex type tubes with a single cutoff wheel, so they do last, provided you work with them the right way.

Do-Clo
10-13-2006, 08:06 AM
If you wrap masking tape around your sink tube where you are going to be cutting it helps protect the finish around the cut area plus it gives you a nice surface to draw your pattern on.

Tenric Starkindler
10-13-2006, 12:04 PM
the link i posted elsewhere to the variable speed rotary tool from sciplus.com is worth looking at. The speed setting will allow you to cut just about anything. It cuts through sink tubes like butter when I use it.

ryanlb
10-13-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm trying to talk my wife into buying that one for my birthday, and if she doesn't I'll buy it myself.