PDA

View Full Version : Finally... My First Saber Complete

TankAviator
07-12-2013, 04:11 PM
This is an MHS build with a CF main board + color extender. 7.4V 2600mAh pack powers the RGBW LEDEngin. I was kind of thinking the blade would be a bit brighter :).

Evilpancreas
07-12-2013, 05:05 PM
For your first saber, this is really good! The shroud work along with the bunny ears really make the hilt look nice. Very nice job; you've blown my first saber out of the water.

TankAviator
07-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks. I did do a few practice shrouds on some sink tube to get in some practice and work on proportions. I have 2 rgb LEDs coming in to connect to my aux LED ports. I figure that will give me a bunch of neat color combinations. I'm just not sure if I want them by the switch on the shroud or on the 2" extension in the center of the body.

Johannes Huber
07-12-2013, 07:53 PM
This looks great! Especially like how the activation box/emitter area turned out. On the blade, if it isn't bright enough for you, you may want to try a different blade (depending on what you have) since it can make a real difference. You could also take a look at the amount of current you are running through the LEDs and see if overdriving them is viable. As a last resort, you could try a quad rebel with 2 blue and 2 white LEDs (It's one of the preconfigured Quad rebel LEDs Luxeon sells, I know, I'm the one who ordered the first pair;)). These LEDs will take a fair amount of overdriving (I've run 1500mA through them as have several other people on the fx-saber board) and the effect is... startling (i.e. do not look directly at them in that state...). It depends a bit on how you wired the originals, but when I did the quad rebel in my "Velocity" build, I used Fender Benders LEDEngin "seriallel" style approach in a "full powah" set up and it worked perfectly, so particularly if you set it up similarly with the LEDEngin, the replacement wouldn't require a nasty amount of rewiring. I compared the Quad Rebel LED in my own build to one of my builds from a professional with a LEDEngin BBBB "fullpowah" setup and the Luxeon build is substantially brighter (note: not a complaint, the LEDEngin is still plenty bright.). Seriously, though, the saber looks really good. If you add the accent LEDs, I'd say to put them in the mid section over the activation box area since I think it would get "too busy" if they are up there, but I kind of think that the hilt looks really nice as it is and the LEDs might be "gilding the lily". Great job!

TankAviator
07-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks. I have the CF + color extender combo, so can address each of the colored dies individually. I am currently running 278ma on the blue die and 1.5a on the green die. I am able to overdrive the blue to 2a (3a max but only for a short time) stable and the red and green each at 1.5a. I have the TCSS battle blade currently but was thinking of ordering a Corbin blade just to see how it is. I hear the Corbin with the CF board is pretty cool. I agree with your thinking on the leds, it probably would be too much (and I don't want to rip it apart to wire them in!). Besides, there is always build #2 to think about (I think my wife just passed out in the other room, lol). I guess I just felt that not utilizing every possible function on the CF board would be a waste somehow.

BTW Tim, I can't say it enough... I love your parts and your service. If I didn't have to dedicate this build to my wife (you know, to keep the raging monster partially at bay) I would definitely dedicate it to you! :D

Starwinder
07-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Congrats on your first build and awesomely done as well! I really like the work you've done with the shroud and the overall design of the saber - has a nice Starkiller-esque look to it.
What version of CF are you using and what fonts do you have on there?
Killer job on your first once again!

TankAviator
07-13-2013, 06:49 PM
I have the CF 6.5 with the stock fonts. I haven't spent too much time trying different sound fonts out yet. That is one thing I would like to take some time to do.

cannibal869
07-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Good job on your first build! Congrats!

MrCrazieman
12-13-2013, 07:10 PM
sorry to frankenpost here, but im curious as to how you did that shroud/emitter. I've been wondering all day long. :D

madmaxx
12-13-2013, 08:15 PM
nice first hilt. nice smooth lines and a well executed theme. you should be proud indeed

Darth Ryo
12-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Great job on your first ;)
Very nice design!

Didn't you take any build pictures? that would be interesting to watch too :)

Danz409
12-18-2013, 09:49 AM
very awsome. if i where to change one thing. i would electroplate the copper painted parts. regardless. blows my first second and current sabers out of the water...

Darth Kenobi
12-26-2013, 03:33 PM
When I looking at that picture of the hilt my jaw dropped. Excellent work I really like your hilt and it's good for your first!