PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Mount v4 + bass speaker: doesn't fit pommel

mikec
07-09-2013, 07:27 AM
I press fit the bass speaker into the v4 mount. However there is no way the mount is going to fit into the pommel - it's just too wide. Is the V4 mount supposed to slide into the pommel or?

Before I start grinding away material on the Speaker Mount v4... I figured I'd ask first to see if I am missing something simple.

Regards-
Mike

Silver Serpent
07-09-2013, 08:02 AM
It depends on the pommel. Some of the pommels have been updated to have a larger ID that accomodates the speaker mounts (and other chassis parts). It sounds like you have one of the older style pommels.

GFJedi
07-09-2013, 08:19 AM
I don't think the v4 mount is designed to fit into the pommel, but I may be wrong. I know it doesn't on my mhs build. In a way it was nice while building the chassis cause it made a good 'stop' while measuring how much room I had.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-09-2013, 08:43 AM
It depends on the pommel. Some of the pommels have been updated to have a larger ID that accomodates the speaker mounts (and other chassis parts). It sounds like you have one of the older style pommels.

I agree with SS. It sounds like you might have one of the older pommel parts with the slightly smaller ID.

mikec
07-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks all - very helpful

GFJedi
07-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Quick follow up, I went back to my build to check for certain, since the store said it should be 1.25" inner diameter, and it was spot on 1.25" with my digital calipers. I removed the pommel from the rear grip section, and test fit it over the speaker holder, it was EXTREMELY snug, but just barely fit. It totally messed with the harmonics of the speaker as it shifted it up and down over the speaker holder and fooled with varied amounts of covering the rear port. It sounds much better with more room between the speaker face and the pommel insert, and a little looser clearance inside the grip section its in now. But yes, technically it does fit, even thou it was a very tight fit.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Not all pommels have 1.25 ID, the "older versions" didn't, and that might be what Mike has. Tim didn't start with the wider pommel ID's until somewhat recently IIRC. ;)

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Yeah also some of the pommel shapes wouldn't allow all of the V4 mount to fit inside even if they had the newer ID while others might barely but wouldn't have much room for resonance.

mikec
07-10-2013, 05:11 AM
The pommel in question is a style 3 v2 that I just recieved Monday, but I believe it is from the older stock. I slapped my calipers digitalis on it last night and found it a couple hundreths shy of the 1.25 mark. The main body section I ordered was measuring around 1.26 or so. The V4 speaker mount however doesn't really fit into the main body either. Obviously these are all very tight tolerance pieces so some fine tuning is to be expected and I am ok with that.

In any case, my hilt design looks absolutely terrible anyway, so I ordered a few odds and ends to change it a bit and hopefully make it look better. I'm soon going to have enough extra parts for a second saber...

When the time comes, and if I need to, I'll use a 1" sanding drum on the drill press to carefully ream out some material from the inside of *my palms* - I mean the inside of the style 3 v2 :D

Strydur
07-10-2013, 10:19 AM
It should fit your parts. Did you try before putting the speaker in or try the end without the speaker as the bass speaker can tend to spread the end of the speaker mount open which may be why yours is not fitting. Some light sanding where the speaker fits in should fix the issue. Also on the main hilt sections you will sometimes get a burr at the end (where the female threads end inside the tube) which may need to be sanded off so the chassis parts will slide in easily.

mikec
07-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Tim - thanks a ton for the advice. Definitely not trying to imply there is any issue with the parts, it's 'user error' here. I did notice that the bass speaker may be stretching the speaker mount a bit, and will do some light sanding to resolve that and make it all fit.