PDA

View Full Version : Powder coated parts and shrouds

Yoshi-Taka
07-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I hope this is the right place to ask this.

So I have some powder coated parts and I plan on using a brass sinktube shroud. The sinktube seems to be a bit small, but does fit over the parts. Problem is, after trying just the blade holder (and a small section of a PC part), it scratches the MHS parts up real bad. How can I prevent this? I don't want these beautiful powder coated parts damaged or looking like crap, but I want to have a shroud as well.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-07-2013, 08:07 PM
First, what are you using for shroud material? Your options likely are:

1. Make sure your shroud doesn't go all the way around the saber, more like something you can screw on.
2. You would have to sand down the inner part of the shroud (which is impractical).
3. Lose the shroud.

I would need to see the design to give you some ideas. You probably should have had the PC'd parts turned down a tad to account for the thickness of the powder coating. ;)

Yoshi-Taka
07-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Brass sinktube tail piece, 1.25" ID.

Believe it or not, I actually started to sand down the inside. Got real frustrating real quick because fat fingers.
I don't have a design figured out yet for my shroud, I'm thinking something like this blade holder - http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Screw-on-LED-blade-holder-style-23-P734.aspx
A full rounded base goes over the blade holder, the four extensions run down the length of the saber and are held in place by a couple screws. I'm thinking since it's brass, I just bend the flaps up enough so they don't touch the body until I'm ready to lay them down and screw them in. Think that'd work?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I'd have to see the design, the saber, and what parts are PC'd.

Yoshi-Taka
07-07-2013, 08:19 PM
I'll have to post some pictures tomorrow when I get a chance, and get a drawing of the shroud done.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Brass sinktube is usually thin-walled and can't be sanded enough inside to fit over powdercoated normal diameter MHS parts without scratching the powdercoat. The preferred solution as FJK mentions is to have the MHS parts reduced in diameter by Strydur BEFORE powdercoating so that the shroud can fit over it, but since you already have the powdercoated parts your only solution now may be to SPLIT your shroud design lengthwise into two or more parts than can be placed OVER rather than AROUND the powdercoated parts then attached, typically with buttonhead screws.

If you don't want to split your shroud design you might consider using the MHS Sleeve material, http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHS-Sleeve-material-P468.aspx which is much thicker than normal sinktube, for your shroud rather than brass sinktube. The MHS sleeve material may be able to be sanded enough to fit 'cleanly' around your parts, depending on the powdercoat thickness.

Yoshi-Taka
07-07-2013, 08:32 PM
I think I understand what you mean about splitting. I may have to do that, or something similar. Damn.. once again, as every single saber I've ever done has proven to me, at least one thing is trial-and-error (mostly error). I think I'm gonna have to get clever with this one.

I'll try to remember the reduced diameter thing in the future.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-07-2013, 08:35 PM
I think I understand what you mean about splitting. I may have to do that, or something similar. Damn.. once again, as every single saber I've ever done has proven to me, at least one thing is trial-and-error (mostly error). I think I'm gonna have to get clever with this one.

I'll try to remember the reduced diameter thing in the future.

Another reason why I try to get you Padawans to not get "over-ambitious" with your builds, and encourage you to really think things out beforehand. ;)

Yoshi-Taka
07-07-2013, 08:37 PM
And the best way to learn is to try. Better to screw up than never bother with it at all, no?
Regardless, I understand the mistake and I can make up for it. Simple enough.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-07-2013, 08:42 PM
And the best way to learn is to try. Better to screw up than never bother with it at all, no?
Regardless, I understand the mistake and I can make up for it. Simple enough.

Oh, I encourage all to try, when their skill level allows for it... I just want them to think things through, it makes for an "easier" build and can be easier on the wallet. Generally speaking, in this hobby - screw ups tend to cost money. ;)

Yoshi-Taka
07-07-2013, 08:47 PM
True. In this case, I think I can work around my error and hide the scratches. Admittedly, my first attempt at shrouding. On the plus side, I know what to consider and how to plan in the future when I use shrouds again.

Silver Serpent
07-08-2013, 05:47 AM
Yes, if you split the sinktube lengthwise, it usually opens up a bit on its own. Should be plenty to allow it to slide over the saber without further scratching the PC.

On a positive note, you've got a great start on a weathered saber now! You can give it that well-used appearance.

Yoshi-Taka
07-08-2013, 08:33 AM
lol, yes that came to mind as well. I'll have to do that next time.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-08-2013, 10:29 AM
True. In this case, I think I can work around my error and hide the scratches. Admittedly, my first attempt at shrouding. On the plus side, I know what to consider and how to plan in the future when I use shrouds again.

Trust me we've ALL had to 'get creative' to hide scratches [and even worse mistakes]...and maybe even some of those really cool heavily weathered sabers by 'big name sabersmiths' weren't intended to be quite so weathered when they started on them eh? ;)

'Getting creative' with 'workarounds' for our learning-curve mistakes is all part of learning the 'art' of this hobby. Sometimes the things I've been forced to do to correct mistakes actually became very cool 'features' that I always intended to do...at least that's my story and I'm stickin to it eh? ;)

Yoshi-Taka
07-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Oh, I know. I've flubbed up plenty of things in the two years I've been doing this (literally at least one mistake/problem per saber). This is just another thing to add to the list, lol. But that's the wonderful part about this hobby: versatility.

MandoJoe
07-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Oh dear! Yoshi's working on a new saber. I'd better get my drool bucket ready for when he posts it.

Yoshi-Taka
07-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Haha. I swear, if I were to put quotes in my signature, they'd all be from you.

MandoJoe
07-10-2013, 05:53 AM
That's what I'm here for, buddy. What I lack in saber building experience I make up for in comedic timing.