PDA

View Full Version : Hello, my name is Kenaz and I am a nOOb at the moment.

Kenaz
07-06-2013, 08:39 PM
I am new to this site and have read everything about the MHS and all the wiring stuff. My question main question is how many people just make the hilts without all the wiring inside? That is what I am going to do since I have seizures. The meds I take cause me to quiver, so it would be nearly IMMPOSSIBLE for me to solder anything. I will post legitimate builds with my style. I will also accept ANY responsabilty for my actions.

GFJedi
07-06-2013, 08:46 PM
There's absolutely NO rule saying you can't build a hollow prop saber! Get your build on and enjoy the hobby however you want! And welcome to the forum!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the Forums. There is no rule against you building a hollow prop.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Welcome, we like NOOBS...especially with barbecue sauce and...

Seriously yes of course you can build static prop hilts without electronics, either for display hilts or cosplay/convention belt hangers or for fanfilm hilts with aluminum or carbon fiber blades for later rotoscoping as was done with the SW movies. There are many reasons one might want to build an empty hilt and we welcome and encourage you to do so if that's your desire.

I do sympathize with your condition since I have hand tremors myself as a result of PTSD which can indeed make soldering difficult and if yours are much worse than mine as may be then yes could make DIY installing impractical for you...but FYI if you would like electronics and feel that physical limitations are the only thing standing in your way there are professional sabersmiths on FX-Sabers.com [most people in this hobby are members there as well as here] in the S.A.B.E.R. Guild and Cloud City Mining Colony who can do electronics installs for you and almost all are very familiar with and frequently use TCSS parts so if you use the MHS builder here to design a hilt it is very possible they can bring it to 'life' for you if you'd like that.

Whatever you choose please feel at home here we love all kinds of saberfans, good luck and MTFBWY.

Sevinzol
07-07-2013, 01:05 AM
If soldering is the challenge, isn't it possible to use the Modular Wiring System (MWS) to build a saber with JST connections and not have to do any soldering? You might need a silghtly longer hilt in order to accomidate the bulkiness of the wiring but it seems doable to me.

Otherwise maybe you can find someone who will do the soldering for you. I would try a technical or trade school, they are sure to have elecronics classes. Approach a teach and see if can point you towards somone who might like a little side project/practice. If not there, try a small appliance or computer store. Who knows you may end up recruiting someone into the hobby.

Kenaz
07-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the optimizim guys and I do have a bud who is a tech nut and a Star Wars Fanatic so I pointed him in the direction of this site as well. I was hoping for his help in soldering my stuff as help for some ideas and unique work we could come up with together. I was going to start slowly just like the TUTS say.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the optimizim guys and I do have a bud who is a tech nut and a Star Wars Fanatic so I pointed him in the direction of this site as well. I was hoping for his help in soldering my stuff as help for some ideas and unique work we could come up with together. I was going to start slowly just like the TUTS say.

It's the best way to go, your wallet will appreciate it.