PDA

View Full Version : Fried my NB speaker chip?

SilverLiquid
07-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Burnt out speaker on my NB?
Hi everyone, so I am putting together my hilt and I went to recharge the batteries. Everything was working fine before and when I went back to check the charge I noticed a slight burning smell. I unplugged the charger and I didn't hear my NB board boot up! So I checked and noticed that the led is still lighting up and that the sensor is still working. But I get no sound. I switched out the NB card with another and everything is working fine. I took a pic of the boards. Can you tell me what you think? If the speaker part of the board is fried? And what I can do about it? What could have caused this? It was the first time I was recharging.

Thanks

Silver Serpent
07-02-2013, 12:30 PM
You either wired up something incorrectly, or there was a short somewhere. Normally when you plug in the charger, the recharge port kills all power to the board. It appears that power was allowed to flow to the board during the charging process.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Offhand I would say that the wire going to the 3.3V pad might have something to do with it, but I can't see because you have heat shrink(?!?!?) over the wiring connection, plus I see that the wire's sheathing has been broken and bare wire is exposed higher up.

You could contact Zook here on the forum, he should be able to repair the board (for a fee).

SilverLiquid
07-02-2013, 01:06 PM
I pm'd zook. We shall see. Thanks guys

Zook
07-02-2013, 02:52 PM
I pm'd zook. We shall see. Thanks guys

I replied back. I can see the audio amp is fried on it.

What batteries are you using? How did you charge it (take them out or in hilt charge)? If you used in hilt recharge what setting is the charger set at?

SilverLiquid
07-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Used 4 aaa nimhs. I did use the kill switch to charge. I have a feeling something with that caused the problem. I'll be double and triple checking it. The charger was in the low setting, can't remember what it is right now. I'll be sending it to Zook for repairs. Thanks again everyone.

whitmers
07-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I was about to post something about this same problem. One of the kids at my jedi camp said to me "your saber isn't making sound anymore". I said... ok, odd. I checked all the wiring, rewired it just in case.

Led with full effects too.

Makes me think the chip on the audio chip was singed. I am the sad. granted, I was going to donate the saber anyway to my son's school auction. So... in this instance at least I will get comped the cost of the board to fix it up then send it out.

Odd that they both happened on the same day.

SilverLiquid
07-04-2013, 06:01 AM
I think it was my wiring. I had it working before then I redid everything and messed it up the second time! Thank goodness for this forum and Zook!!!

SilverLiquid
07-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Happy to say I got my NB back from Zook today and everything is back to normal. Thanks again everyone.

Silver Serpent
07-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Glad to hear. Zook's a great guy, and a real asset to our hobby.