PDA

View Full Version : Fan film costumes

DARTHMONKEY1706
10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Ok well for a fan film on extremely low budget what would yall suggest?
Would yall suggest only cape(cloak, or robe) or just clothes? We have 4 jedi 2 sith what would be better?

Lord Maul
10-11-2006, 10:05 PM
for the robes you can buy a martial arts shirt if you want the luke anh-esb look and the rotj look, black shirt with black vest and sash. otherwise just by a huge cape

LAN-ED-TUL
10-11-2006, 10:17 PM
karate ghi white, dyed dirty brown and use a black one for sith.

under shirt for jedi, dyed a brown , some boots for both, belts, you dont neccesarily have to have the robes, if you do a lil modding to the tunic to look more jedi'ish.

DARTHMONKEY1706
10-11-2006, 10:23 PM
thanx, but what i'm tryin to say is we're ona very very tight budget doin all cg and effects with shareware spending hardly any money what would be the best way to make it looke good for no money even if it's regular clothes

LAN-ED-TUL
10-11-2006, 11:54 PM
karate ghis from a army surplus only run around 30dollars for a shirt and pants set.

JediMcD
10-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Well it really depends on how much work you can do on the costumes yourself. If you can sew then you might have some luck. Now you will have to understand that you won't have costumes that will look good up close, but at a distance they might pass.

I would go to the thrift store and get some oversized button up shirts. Then you could cut off the collar, buttons, button holes, and cuffs. Then just fold under all the cut edges you just made and make a stitch to hold under the cut edge. If you get a large enough shirt you could then fold over the left side across the right side. Put on a few pieces of velcro underneath and you got yourself a tunic. I would just try to find a shirt made of thicker material.

You could use the same method for the under tunic with just a little smaller shirt, or you could wear just a solid color T shirt underneath. Just make sure not to wear like a bright orange shirt or something. Think more earthtones. :lol:

As far as pants go I would just go with any solid color flat front dress pants of the Dockers or ****ies type. I am using ****ies pants for my Anakin costume, and they are almost identical to the ones in the movies.

For the belt I would just say to canabalize a few leather belts of varying widths. Pick some up at the thrift store when you are there looking for shirts.

For the robe I don't know what to recommend. It is hard to find something close to a jedi robe. You might be forced to buy them or not have them at all. I will keep thinking on this and post again if I have any revelations about the robe.

Boots can be another tricky part. Look in the Jedi costuming thread for some posts on cheaper boots. The problem is finding boots tall enough to make it look right. You can sometimes find some boots on various auction sites. You just have to be diligent.

xwingband
10-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Get the simplicity pattern if you're inclined to sew. It'd certainly be cheap...

JediMcD
10-12-2006, 06:47 AM
Yeah Xwing that was my other suggestion, but I think I talked about it in another thread. The Simplicity pattern #4450 is a great pattern. I used it for my Anakin ROTS costume. I had to modify it a little to make it more screen accurate, but it lends itself to modification. If you can sew at all it would be the best way to go.

james3
10-12-2006, 07:08 AM
How cheap are you trying to do this?

There are some awesome ideas here and as McD pointed out you asked the same thing in Misc. But if you are just looking for the cheap/lazy way out then get a few Rubies costumes after Halloween. I am sure you will have the little shops in the mall near you, go there on the 1st when everything is marked down you can also do some great kick arse Sith just by ravaging a bunch of witch, reaper, and asstorted classic black costumes.

I would go the custom made route only because I like accurate stuff but I have done the EXACT thing I just told you for years now. You could get six people costumed up probally for $50 head to toe. Keep in mind your using toppers for that as even cheap boots will send your price up quick.

Lord Maul
10-12-2006, 07:59 PM
karate ghi white, dyed dirty brown and use a black one for sith.

i got a ghi shirt/pant set at a thrift store that i tea stained for my luke anh costume. it looks sweet

Do-Clo
10-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Try Goodwill for costume ideas, you might find some karate gi's that will work for you and you don't have to pay a big price or try yard sales you never know what you will find.

Jedi-Loreen
10-13-2006, 12:35 AM
I hope he doesn't start asking people to send him their costumes for him to borrow. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/tongue0019.gif

LAN-ED-TUL
10-13-2006, 06:38 AM
ROFL

DARTHMONKEY1706
10-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Ok all this is, is a bunch of high school students makin a film(so were not forkin out a bunch of money for this) There is no way though I would be askin people to " borrow costumes" i don't do that. As far as how much we're willin to do Maybe 30 per person maybe we may just do halloween costumes but most likely i will try to find a army supply store.

Do-Clo
10-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Consigment shops would be another option to search for low cost costume items.

LAN-ED-TUL
10-16-2006, 07:30 PM
some of those places are high tho do-clo.

last time i purchased a full karate outfit from a army surplus it was about 25 to 30 bucks.

if white, then cheap 2 to 4 dollar in the washing machine dye will change colors to browns for jedis.

Jedi-Loreen
10-17-2006, 01:16 AM
My first Jedi tunic was a brown-dyed white karate gi. :wink:

LAN-ED-TUL
10-17-2006, 11:07 PM
exactly, thats what i used too. i did swap out the pants for a pair of whitish khaki ones, and just dyed them a lil different shade of brownish color. pretty light, but brownish.

been wantin to add the tabbards to it to make it look more like the movie jedi look.