PDA

View Full Version : So, then we start. "Elesett" or "The Fallen".

KnightMoritz
06-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Hello guys :)

I spent few last days trying to get That vision of my very first own lightsaber, some first ideas are Here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?15763-Hello-from-Poland!).

A few hours ago it just came up to me. Simple, one-handed, full MHS design with some personalisation.

So, at first it was like...

but then, after some graphics:
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/1053247_278836925590651_183990063_o.jpg

Part list:
-Pommel style 3
-4inch 2x fluted 2xfemale connector
-Ribbed choke combo
-LED blade holder style 1
-Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module (Amber)
-1x 16mm Anti Vandal Latching Amber Ring Short Switch
-1x 16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Orange Ring Short Switch
-Nano Biscotte
-2W Bass Speaker
-7,4v Li-Ion battery
-8-32 x .3" black thumb screw
-Custom D-ring
-MAYBE 40" x 1" dueling blade, but not shorter than 36"
-Custom chassis, but that will be designed after all the parts I need are in my hands.

I'm thinking also about killswitch and a recharge port- maybe all in line with aux and power buttons.

That's about it for the moment, i'm going to update when I got the parts.

amwolf
06-27-2013, 07:40 PM
If you're going with the Nano, you'll need a 3.7v battery, not the 7.4 pack; also you wouldn't need the latching switch unless you were wiring it in as a kill switch since the Nano runs off a solo momentary. Your forward "button" (I assume it's a switch) is sitting right in the thread zone, which may be problematic... I like the basic design, and look forward to seeing your weathering/painting process.

KnightMoritz
06-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I meant 3,7v but in my country it's now 4AM, and i'm quite tired :)

Yes, that's the switch and it's in the thread zone- I placed it in there on purpose. It will block that 2 parts solid. I know it's weird solution, but I think it'll do...

Hmmm, I missed that part about switches in pdf file of Nano, the second one could be a killswitch. I like it when there are more than one button to press :>

On monday i'm going to my local electronic temple to see how many parts I can get in my country (money, money, money).

GFJedi
06-27-2013, 08:05 PM
If you like buttons to push, theres nothing that says you cant just slap a bunch of dummy switches on your hilt and leave them disconnected. Make others guess what they are all supposed to do... :)

Yoshi-Taka
06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
That would get super confusing if they were all the exact same style switch.
"I know one of these switches will turn it.... on. There we go!"

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's the switch and it's in the thread zone- I placed it in there on purpose. It will block that 2 parts solid. I know it's weird solution, but I think it'll do...

Yeah, it'll also make it very easy for you to mess up two parts and have to replace them. Cross-threading and other "problems" can and have occurred by those who have tried that in the past. There is a reason why Tim, and many other senior people like us don't recommend what you are thinking. I'd hate for you to find out about that the hard way.

Also, by doing that, you will be making your installation considerably harder, and considering you've never built one before, I really have to question why you would make your life harder right out of the gate.

KnightMoritz
06-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Laughed so hard GFJedi, Yoshi-Taka, really! But it's the point about the switches doing something. Making coffee? Lunch? Calling 911? Sure, that's nice idea :D

Anyway, maybe you're right about that, forgetful jedi knight. Well, i'll think of it when it comes to drill the holes. If all electronics fit with the switches in standard position, than i'll make my life easier :>

Crystal Chambers
06-28-2013, 06:05 AM
The short swith might not even make it through the MHS to have thread to fasten the nut,

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2013, 11:18 AM
The short swith might not even make it through the MHS to have thread to fasten the nut,

Which is another good point. ;)

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 04:14 PM
I did my research, but never found any answers.

What is the difference between the NBSD-L and the NBSD-D?

GFJedi
06-28-2013, 04:21 PM
NBSD are identical, its the sound files on the card that separate L (lightmeat) and D (darkmeat). Both L and D are free on Plecterlabs servers, so unless you want 2 cards to carry around 2 separate soundfonts and config files for the same saber, no need to buy a 2nd one.

Corbin blade carries the Corbin "core" diffuser, the TCSS just has a standard film wrap in it. The Corbin gives a more Original Trilogy look, the TCSS a more Prequel look.

GFJedi
06-28-2013, 04:22 PM
And regardless which blade you choose, some clear cellophane gift wrap from a craft store, about 6 feet of it spooled up and slipped into the blade will give BOTH options a much more even light dispersion.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2013, 04:36 PM
NBSD are identical, its the sound files on the card that separate L (lightmeat) and D (darkmeat). Both L and D are free on Plecterlabs servers, so unless you want 2 cards to carry around 2 separate soundfonts and config files for the same saber, no need to buy a 2nd one.

While GFJedi is correct about which font is which, if you buy one font with a PC/NB, you can't get the other one for "free". Consider it strongly recommended that you visit saberfont.com to purchase the font (light meat, dark meat or any other font you might like down the road) that you didn't purchase with your PC/NB. Those files are there on the Plecter Labs site in case of a SD card issue, not as a source for "a free font". ;)

Also having a second card (wherever you buy it from) loaded with whatever second font you might want isn't a bad idea.

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Thank you very much for clearing this :)

I think I'll make the order next week. After that, we shall see.

GFJedi
06-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Right on the plecterlabs website the words "free sound fonts" is clearly stated. There is no disclaimer stating you can only use the one that came with your soundcard.

http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=107

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Right on the plecterlabs website the words "free sound fonts" is clearly stated. There is no disclaimer stating you can only use the one that came with your soundcard.

http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=107

OK, I see it's "Education time"...

GFJedi, as you are relatively new to the community, "sound font piracy" is a VERY long standing issue. "The disclaimer" is a generally accepted part of being a good "community citizen", If you want a font in addition to the one that you originally picked for your card, you "compensate" the artist for their time and effort in making it, unless they ARE truly giving it away for free. I've been in that situation for a friend who was giving her cat font away for free for a while.

Since I do know the financial arrangement regarding the "default package fonts", because I know the parties involved, I know how it works. They are "free" because the font price is built into the card. That is what Erv' means by "free" - you bought a PL sound card, so a font of your choice comes with it "for free" though a licensing fee is paid and built into the price of the card in consequence. Because a newbie screws up a card (which commonly happens), the packages are there for an easy download, with minimal stress. It doesn't mean that if you bought a card with light meat, you can just go download dark meat "for free" because it is just sitting there. Technically the opportunity to do it is there as it's all there as part of an "honor system", but morally it is wrong to do it. Also, if he was giving everything away "for free", he wouldn't be advertising for saberfont.com.

One other little factoid... almost all who come into this hobby are "watched" to an extent, and over time, and develop a "reputation" which will follow them around, whether they realize it or not. And that reputation can have far reaching consequences, both good and bad. ;)

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Yes, I have alot of microSD cards for my phone, so that's not the problem. Also, I have some experience with sound editing, mastering and some other things, so maybe I could manually extract the sound I like and create custom font? I was thinking about slowed down to 35-50% dark sound (that idle one) to make it heavier, maybe with some "issues" or "scratches" (like an old, scrap car). I think that weathered, old, dusted saber found somewhere in the desert or a cave near a skeleton by a dark jedi shouldn't have perfect, clear sound.

Also, the Ancient Saber Font isn't the thing i'm looking for.

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 06:01 PM

GFJedi, as you are relatively new to the community, "sound font piracy" is a VERY long standing issue. "The disclaimer" is a generally accepted part of being a good "community citizen", If you want a font in addition to the one that you originally picked for your card, you "compensate" the artist for their time and effort in making it, unless they ARE truly giving it away for free. I've been in that situation for a friend who was giving her cat font away for free for a while.

Since I do know the financial arrangement regarding the "default package fonts", because I know the parties involved, I know how it works. They are "free" because the font price is built into the card. That is what Erv' means by "free" - you bought a PL sound card, so a font of your choice comes with it "for free" though a licensing fee is paid and built into the price of the card in consequence. Because a newbie screws up a card (which commonly happens), the packages are there for an easy download, with minimal stress. It doesn't mean that if you bought a card with light meat, you can just go download dark meat "for free" because it is just sitting there. Technically the opportunity to do it is there as it's all there as part of an "honor system", but morally it is wrong to do it. Also, if he was giving everything away "for free", he wouldn't be advertising for saberfont.com.

One other little factoid... almost all who come into this hobby are "watched" to an extent, and over time, and develop a "reputation" which will follow them around, whether they realize it or not. And that reputation can have far reaching consequences, both good and bad. ;)

Totally Agreed. 5-10$ isn't much for a sound, so why to steal or do something morally wrong? We (I think I can say for myself also) are such a small, closed community. Why to steal from each other? We are above that low things, I think.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Totally Agreed. 5-10$ isn't much for a sound, so why to steal or do something morally wrong? We (I think I can say for myself also) are such a small, closed community. Why to steal from each other? We are above that low things, I think.

The sad fact is, it does happen, and other things like that have gone on and occasionally still do. We see it a lot, unfortunately.

I just want to make sure that inaccurate information isn't going to get spread around. ;)

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Sure Thing. The most probable thing is that I will edit stock saber font that comes with Nano and buy some others that I'd might like- there are some very nice :)

Hmmm, just curious- where all these fonts came out? How they were made? Extracted from movies, games? Bought from lucasfilm? Just wondering where they came from.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2013, 06:34 PM
They came from many different sources, mixed by the person who did them, and some are completely original. Goldwave seems to be the most popular for making sound fonts for PL sound cards.

GFJedi
06-28-2013, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I was not condoning piracy, just stating it how i saw it. The default packages are not available to purchase separately anywhere on Plecterlabs, or on Saberfont, so it would appear that they did not intend to profit off those default packages, rather just supplying them to owners of their product.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I was not condoning piracy, just stating it how i saw it. The default packages are not available to purchase separately anywhere on Plecterlabs, or on Saberfont, so it would appear that they did not intend to profit off those default packages, rather just supplying them to owners of their product.

They aren't available for purchase on the PL site, because you either buy them from here, or saberfont.com ;) Erv' just doesn't want to charge people every time they goof up a card (which is a good thing), because most of us know noobs RARELY back things up before messing around with a SD card.

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 06:45 PM

Thank you guys for your kind help and clearing some things out, I feel much wiser now. I was searching before- is the Chat Box working?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2013, 06:48 PM
It works.

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Where can I find it? Believe me, I tried to find it :D

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Click on Forum, and then the chat should be there if you have the window open (arrow is on the right).

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Either I'm blind or for new users chatbox is hidden- which is quite good thing.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Either I'm blind or for new users chatbox is hidden- which is quite good thing.
How did you find out about chat?

Also, go to your setting and make sure you have the "Show Chat box" turned on. ;)

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Hah, that should be it!

Well, found the "chat box rules" on the forums.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Hah, that should be it!

Well, found the "chat box rules" on the forums.

Well, you do need to have a certain post count, but it's been so long I don't remember what it is.

Silver Serpent
06-28-2013, 07:41 PM
It's either a certain post count, a minimum time since joining, or a combination of both. I'm not sure which it is. The chat box will mysteriously appear for you at some point. Try not to confuse it for the search box. :)

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 08:30 PM
It could be both, well- patience is a virtue. Thank You all for good conversation and helping the noob. Actually, cannot wait until I see what's in my local electronics shop, it's open today till 2PM so maybe I'll buy some switches, resistors and ports for my saber today.

KnightMoritz
06-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Sorry for doubled post, but I searched quite for a propper crystal for my saber, it will be put in the blade holder to hide the LED's, with some dummy mechanics/holders.

so, here's my ideas:
Apatite
Hessonite (My favourite)
phantom quartz
Lemurian Quartz
What do You think?

engineer3.14
07-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I like the Lemurian, but that's me...

KnightMoritz
07-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, Lemurian is high in my list. I ordered some mountain crystals, cheap and popular just to see how they look, how they can be iluminated and so on.

KnightMoritz
06-08-2014, 02:04 AM
golden shovel not required. had some issues in life, but just ordered the first set of parts: blade, hilt parts, led and so on. I did it because first I need to figure out the covering method, how to make it realistically.

Obi1
06-08-2014, 11:53 AM
"Elesett" sounds magyar (hungarian), yet another in this forum ? :wink:
For the cristal chamber I would also choose the lemurian quartz. We call them here mountain quartz, I used to collect them with my grandpa in the mountains, last time I visited home I got back some of them, now they present the perfect material to build a crystal chamber (being impregnated with MY energies for over 30 years :) )

KnightMoritz
06-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Thank You for Your reply :)

I'm from Poland, but when I was choosing a name for this one, I chose the english one and started looking for translations to different language. When I've found the Elesett, it stayed like that. Don't really remember if it's Hungarian, but I believe so. Currently landed in UK for money and decided to stay here and start a new life.

enzio
08-26-2014, 08:47 AM
It's Hungarian, but it means something like "tripped", I think the word you are searching for is "Bukott", which means that something fell into disgrace. The Hungarian title for the transformers movie, Revenge of the Fallen was "A Bukottak Bosszuja".