PDA

View Full Version : Double Bladed

WINN3BAG3L
06-18-2013, 03:51 PM
I have been looking for months on the forums about double bladed sabers and haven't found much that I could use. I would like it to have sound but I'm still not sure how to wire everything with an AV switch but no recharge port. Any help with how I should tackle this would be welcome. Thanks.

GFJedi
06-18-2013, 06:06 PM
A little more info can help get an answer. What LED's, what battery, what sound board do you plan to be using? There are guys on the forum here that will know exactly how to help you out.

WINN3BAG3L
06-18-2013, 08:17 PM
I am using Luxeon Rebel Star LED and MHS Heatsink module, MHS speaker and 2x AA battery holder with 2 TrustFire Protected 3.7V 900mAh 14500 Lithium batteries, Nano biscotte sounds module v1 and NB header and wiring harness,and a 16mm anti vandal long momentary switch. If im missing anything just tell me. I know i still need resistors so ya... Thanks :)

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-18-2013, 09:42 PM
So as I understand it you want to make a saberstaff with 2 Lux Rebel star LEDs?

Okay the problem with your plan above is that using two Trustfire 3.7V in a normal 2xAA holder would give you 7.4V which would be fine if you were wiring the OUTPUT of your soundboard/driver to 2 Rebel star LEDs wired in SERIES since series wiring divides voltage EXCEPT that you say you are using a Nano Biscotte which cannot take that much voltage INPUT [magic smoke time is BAD]. Alternatively you could wire the Rebel star LEDs in PARALLEL if you used a single 3.4V battery with the Biscotte but you wouldn't want to use a single Trustfire 900mAh 14500 for that application because parallel wiring divides current instead of voltage and a single 14500 with only 900mAh total capacity would result in a very short runtime.

IF you decide to use the 2x14500 Trustfires with 2 series wired Rebel LEDs in a staff you NEED to upgrade your soundboard to a Petit Crouton which can take the 7.4 voltage of that battery solution without frying. One benefit of this option is the Petit Crouton has a full LED driver built in so you wouldn't have to worry about resistors, but it is a more expensive soundboard.

IF you decide to use the Nano Biscotte with 2 parallel wired Rebel LEDs in a staff you NEED to reduce your battery voltage down to a 3.4V battery solution but one with more mAh capacity such as a 2600 mAh 18650 battery to provide for adequate runtime, like this one: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Li-Ion-18650-37V-2600mAh-PCB-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Module-P672.aspx

edit: Sevinzol makes an interesting point below - you could then use TWO Nano Biscottes one per saber of the pair with each inputting 3.7v from a single Li-ion and each outputting to a single Rebel star LED.

Ultimately the choice is yours...good luck with your build and MTFBWY

Sevinzol
06-19-2013, 04:30 AM
Have you considered wiring up the ends a separate sabers with a coupler connectiing them? That way you could unscrew them and be able to dual-wield like Asajj Ventress did in SW: The Clone Wars.

WINN3BAG3L
06-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks both of you for the input so much! I just need to find out if its different to hook up an AV switch to the sound board because i haven't been able to find a schematic for that.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks both of you for the input so much! I just need to find out if its different to hook up an AV switch to the sound board because i haven't been able to find a schematic for that.

It's a little different, but not really that much harder. I'm sure there are plans / sketches floating around here somewhere by other members

WINN3BAG3L
06-20-2013, 12:19 PM
1. So I've looked quite a bit over the last couple days and everyone seems to use kill switches and recharge ports, which I am not using. I only want the switch LED to turn on when the saber is turned on, so could I wire the switch LED to the blade LED? If so how, because I can't find anything.
2. This may sound like a dumb question, but with the sound board do I still need resistors?

Silver Serpent
06-20-2013, 12:47 PM
1. Wire the switch LED in parallel with the blade LED. The switch LED will then come on and go off with the blade. The switch LED will need its own resistor.

2. With the Nano Biscotte? Yes, you need a resistor. If you were using a Petit Crouton or better, then the board would regulate the power to the main LED without the need for a resistor.

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Silver Serpent beat me to it...I'll just add that since you are using a removable battery holder you do not need kill switches or recharge ports [in fact recharge ports are not a good idea if using holders instead of fixed battery packs] as long you simply remove the batteries when not in use.

WINN3BAG3L
06-20-2013, 11:25 PM
I am relatively new to wiring and i'm still not quite sure about all of the terms, so to parallel wire this, I would need to wire the switch LED negative to the blade LED negative and the switch LED positive to the blade LED positive?

GFJedi
06-21-2013, 05:01 AM
I am relatively new to wiring and i'm still not quite sure about all of the terms, so to parallel wire this, I would need to wire the switch LED negative to the blade LED negative and the switch LED positive to the blade LED positive?

Yes, but tap off the blade led before the blade led resistor, and place your switch led resistor before the switch led.