PDA

View Full Version : Blade tip reflective question

firefoxsr
06-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Good morning :D

While I'm reading about blade tip, I had a doubt and an idea.

What kind of material is the reflective disc? Glass? Plastic?

It's possible make a small hole in the center of this reflective material? In this way the tip will be a little illuminated rather than beinig dark.

Another idea is this: If like a Cassegrain telescope the reflective disc is hyperbolic to concentrate light in the middle of the blade for better lighting.

Our opinion on these ideas?

Silver Serpent
06-14-2013, 08:15 AM
I believe it is plastic. Some people drill away a small portion of the reflective disc for just this purpose. Other people remove a small ring of the reflective material from the outside of the disc. Still others remove the reflective disc entirely, and replace it with the plastic film from anti-static bags.

Feel free to experiment. There are several ways to help the tip light up.

Sunrider
06-15-2013, 02:33 PM
I cut 2mm of the edge away.

Solan Starr
06-16-2013, 07:43 AM
I've done all the ways listed. Trim the outside edge off (decent), cut out a hole in the center (meh), drill a hole into the center into the tip itself (horrible on a clear blade tip as it lights the drill hole up and that's it!), and the best method I've found and continue to use is removing the reflective disk and using a few layers of anti-static bag. Nice tip illumination and reflectivity back down the blade. As the other SS said, feel free to experiment. Different strokes for different folks and what-not.

Ingchao
06-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Aluminum tape with a tiny hole in the center works nice. And you don't have to mess with any glue. It also acts as a good way to make the 3/4" copper caps that some of use as heat sinks fit better in the hilt.

Good stuff to have around.

firefoxsr
06-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all the ideas :D

Corbin_Das
06-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I've used several different methods. Another idea is automotive window tint. It reflects, but still allows some light through to the tip.