PDA

View Full Version : Fine tuning required

Diesel70
06-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Hey everyone,

Bear with me here because I have a few questions that bounce around the board a bit.

1) I have the MHS "new style" heat sink that came with my blade holder (style 23) and a Luxeon Rebel Tri-star LED system with the accompanying optics (Carclo 18° Tri-LED Optic With Integrated Holder). When I test fitted them (no adhesive, just to see what I'm working with) the aluminum cover does not meet with the optic....at all. Is this normal? With the other optics on TCSS (Seoul I believe) they look to be flush and/or compressed by the aluminum that the copper heat sink screws into.

2) I plan on reverse mounting a speaker in my saber (so it would point up past my electronics and switches to sound vents up towards the blade) since my hands would probably cover any holes in the pommel. Can I use the v4 mount by literally putting the speaker in the wrong way and hope that it will still work? And will my chassis/electronics/switches baffle my sound?

3) Instead of stainless set screws to hold my blade, I was thinking of using brass as an accent. Does anyone know if the aluminum will react with the brass set screws?

Thanks in advance,

~Diesel

Silver Serpent
06-14-2013, 05:06 AM
1. Sounds like you didn't screw the heatsink in far enough. Keep going, and it should snug up tightly.

2. Should work fine. So long as there is room for air to move past your parts, then it shouldn't dampen your sound significantly. I've done it in a fairly tightly packed hilt, and the saber has a lovely deep sound to it. No loss in sound volume.

3. Brass will not appreciably react with aluminum in a saber. Just keep it dry. Keep in mind that brass is a softer metal than stainless steel. You may need to keep a few extra screws on hand in case the brass ones wear out.

Diesel70
06-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Not to be quarrelsome, but I tried again and there is about a quarter inch gap between the lens and the surface of the aluminum. Since it is a heatsink, I am not comfortable with the idea of adding spacers. What do you suggest?

Yoshi-Taka
06-19-2013, 10:29 PM
I've not used the Tri-Rebels (yet), but it looks like you don't have the right heat sink. That looks like one designed for Rebel Stars/P4's. I believe you need this one, as it was designed for Tri-Rebels: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHS-new-style-Heat-Sink-V3-P782.aspx

Diesel70
06-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Thank you very much Yoshi. As you can see, I'm still a bit new with this. I thought the "new style" heatsink covered the tri-stars as well. Clearly not. Guess I just have to get this heatsink and build a whole 'nother saber so the heatsink I currently have doesnt go to waste. Haha!

Silver Serpent
06-20-2013, 05:11 AM
Hrm, I never noticed before, but the V2 isn't as deeply threaded as the V3 and V4. That would likely explain why you couldn't screw the heatsink down far enough for the tri-rebel to be secure.

Yoshi-Taka
06-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Thank you very much Yoshi. As you can see, I'm still a bit new with this. I thought the "new style" heatsink covered the tri-stars as well. Clearly not. Guess I just have to get this heatsink and build a whole 'nother saber so the heatsink I currently have doesnt go to waste. Haha!

Hey, no worries. We all start out somewhere. Hell, I remember when I started out..
That's always a plus; keep it for a spare part. As far as I can tell, the heatsink itself is good; the module it screws into is what you need to swap out.