PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Hilt?

Darth Animus
06-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Hi guys,

I've had another of my pesky ideas for a saber... I don't want to give away too much, but the basic idea is to have as little metal as possible to house electronics, and to attach that to a real wooden hilt that would fit inside the MHS (probably a cut down bo staff or siniwali stick). Obvious concerns are room for the saber guts, and security of the metal to wood connection as I intend to duel/perform with it. I was thinking a pair of screws or bolts through the metal and wood would hold it well enough, but I'd be worried about repeated swinging causing the wood to wear down and loosen. Also, to have enough hilt inside the MHS would greatly reduce space inside for even a single battery. Drilling into the wood for space would obviously weaken it.

Any thoughts? Has anyone attempted this before? What is the absolute smallest space possible for a working saber? Have I gone mad, or am I just sleep deprived?

MasterStoddard
06-06-2013, 12:21 AM
I would say it would be an interesting build. I think if you have a small section of the wood hollowed out but have the securing bolts/screws in the solid non-hollowed section of the wood that is in the metal portion of the hilt it wouldn't be so bad for strength.