PDA

View Full Version : rgb led #2

joe104
10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
wait about the rgb led do you have to have 3 switches for it? and if you dont have them what color would come out? does anybody know?

xwingband
10-09-2006, 08:08 PM
You can run it on three switches... you just wouldn't have any control over the exact shade. You'd get R+B= Purple, R+G= Orange, G+B= Teal and finally R+G+B= White.

You need either three pots, or three switches. Both would also work, but isn't needed. Without either all of the diodes would be constantly on and would be white.

joe104
10-09-2006, 08:26 PM
and would i set the rgb led the same way i would set up a single color led?

xwingband
10-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Pretty much... just times three. An RGB has a common negative, but is fundamentally similar.

joe104
10-09-2006, 08:29 PM
ok kool.

GeluKhanGharr
10-30-2006, 09:13 AM
I thought my experience might come in handy here. If you're planning on using the same power/current and simple switches, then you have a problem - the only colors you'll get without pots are Red/Green/Blue/Teal. When all 3 colors are turned on full power, Red overpowers B and G. I am assuming here you are talking about the 3w Prolight RGB. I made my RGB saber a few months back and this is what I used. Keep in mind they call it a 3 watt LED, but it is in fact three 1 watt LEDs with a common negative and independent in every other way. If memory serves me right, the R required a 2.6 Ohm resistor and the others 3.6. This is the minimal resistance required. On top of that you'll need 0 to 300-400 Ohm linear pots, then you can trully adjust your colors to whatever you want. Also, remember this really is more like a 1 to 2 watt output and not as bright - by a considerable amount - as the 3w Luxeons Tim sells.