PDA

View Full Version : Nano Biscotte sound or speaker issue possibly.

PsHADeadGuy
05-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Alright, second saber build here. First time using a decent sound card though, first build used an old Hasbro Obi econo-board.

Okay, so, my main problem I'm having is my saber has no sound. I just purchased a brand new NB and a premium speaker. Using the Wiring harness and JST connections for everything. I currently have a Blue Luxeon, a 3.7v Lithium rechargable pack from the shop, and a momentary switch. The LED, switch, and battery all seem to work great. But I have no sound. So, I thought maybe I had got a bad speaker, so I tried another I had lying around. Still no sound. I went to a local shop and picked up two more. No sound on either. I had the SD card removed while doing any soldering or working on the saber at all, but is it possible I fried it? All of the other functions of the NB seem to be working great. My other concern, is that maybe I didn't solder the wiring harness to the NB very well, I've got the best closeup I can get of it here:8774

I'm not the best at soldering, but it looks to me the second from the left in the image isn't soldered very well. It seems to have a nice solid connection, but could a better solder there help?

Or is it possible that the sound portion of the NB is fried? I don't have anything that can read the Micro SD card in it here at the moment, so I can't check the SD card itself. Any suggestions are very welcome at this point :)
Thanks guys!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Well, first off, you have too much solder on the board. There could be a short. I would clean that up first.

I would also take the SD card out, and make sure you disconnect everything when you work on the board.

PsHADeadGuy
05-17-2013, 07:23 PM
SD card is removed. I wondered about that, as I said, I'm not very good at soldering. When I first "dry ran" everything without solder, I still couldn't get any sound. But everything else has worked ever since. I just plugged the SD card into my wife's phone. All the sound files are there, along with the config file. So the SD card "should" be fine. Is it possible I just got a bad board?

Arryck Corso
05-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I don't have anything that can read the Micro SD card in it here at the moment, so I can't check the SD card itself.

Well after reading your OP, in particular the section I've quoted from you, my first thought would be the volume on your SD card is set to 0 which is off. I'm almost 100% sure these come with the default volume level set to 4 (which is max) but there may be the small chance yours is at 0!?!

When chasing down electrical gremlins always start with the most obvious first. You really need to get a microSD card reader and check that first.

I wouldn't say the board is "fried" as you say. If the other functions are working then the board should be fine. You do have way to much solder on your board and the potential is there that you're shorting out the sound circuit. But without knowing more specifics of your particular set up it's hard to say.

PsHADeadGuy
05-17-2013, 07:32 PM
What's the best way to remove solder? I don't have anything other than a basic iron and a spool of solder. Also, I did read through the config file while it was on my wife's phone. I played through several of the sounds, and the volume in the config was set to 4 as you said. How should I go about removing some of this solder? And what's a better way to apply it?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-17-2013, 07:38 PM
What's the best way to remove solder? I don't have anything other than a basic iron and a spool of solder. Also, I did read through the config file while it was on my wife's phone. I played through several of the sounds, and the volume in the config was set to 4 as you said. How should I go about removing some of this solder? And what's a better way to apply it?

You would need to get some copper solder braid. It's used to suck up solder. It should clean up your excess solder easily. You can pick some up at Radio Shack, if there is one near you.

PsHADeadGuy
05-17-2013, 07:40 PM
There is. Sounds like I'll be making a run there in the morning :) Thanks guys!

***Edit*** I just noticed that the corner of my NB nearest the two pads for the speaker wires is damaged. The thin green film on the bottom of the board is crunched. Could that have an effect on it sending power to the speaker?

PsHADeadGuy
05-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Alright, got it working late last night. The problem was actually the opposite of what everyone suggested. It did have to do with solder, but I didn't have enough on one of the speaker connections on the NB. So it wasn't even registering that I had speakers attached to it. I'll rewire it up with the premium speaker later tonight when I get home and see how it sounds :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Glad you got it figured out. You still have a tad to much solder on things. ;)

PsHADeadGuy
05-18-2013, 10:30 PM
I'll definitely keep practicing and keep that in mind for next time :) thanks guys!