PDA

View Full Version : So I've come up with this modular saber scheme...

The Grey Elf
05-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Ages ago I got a purple P4 setup from Jango over at fx-sabers and when it arrived found that sadly, it didn't fit into the saber into which I wanted to swap it out b/c it's a "new style" and the saber in question was "old style" MHS.

Well for some time now I've been wanting to take everything I've learned in messing with my frist Imperial Knight effort and apply it to a Mk. II version. I've got all the parts lined up on TCSS for it.

So while I was getting my ducks in a row it occurred to me: why not take advantage of the whole "modular" thing and build a truly modular saber? My plan now is to construct it around a base hilt--style 12--with chrome black powder coating.

As I'm sure everyone's aware the IK is a pretty basic, sleek design (hence its general popularity), so I won't waste too much time on that.

I will install a recessed blue or white ring LED MOM switch (I'm debating between blue and white) and a NB soundboard. Since this will be at its core an IK Mk II saber for me I'll go for a modular wiring system white Seoul P4 for the quick disconnect. A sink tube will provide the shroud.

Power source will be two AA Li-Ions with a dummy cell in a 3 Li-Ion holder (I'm not comfortable enough yet to go for an internal charge port. I *may* attempt a cutoff switch install for the sound board. Haven't decided. But having rechargeable batteries largely negates the "battery drain when not powered up" issue.

Here's the fun part. The sleeve will take just over half the sink tube, leaving me with (in a perfect world) roughly 5" of tube to work with. I'll order a second blade holder and pommel, have them powdercoated sun gold, and turn the chrome off the remaining 5" of sink tube so that it's brass. Create a new sleeve design with the remaining brass tube which utilizes the same set screw holes as the IK one does, and set up an install for a covertec ring which will be hidden when it's in IK mode by the IK sleeve. POSSIBLY attach an integral leather wrap to the secondary sleeve. Then, with a minute's worth of time I can swap out the LED, blade holder, pommel, and sleeve, and have an entire second saber, dependent on whether I want to costume as a Jedi or an IK.

It occurs to me I could put the switch on a quick disconnect as well and swap out for blue and white, but that may be a bit more of a pain to deal with and defeat the quick change purpose, so I'll likely just decide on one and stick with it. White will match the IK blade perfectly and look ok with purple, while blue won't match either perfectly but will complement both white or purple.

I'm sure this can't be a new idea--I'm sure others have done it many a time, but thoughts? Any warnings or things for which I should keep an eye out?

Honestly my one concern at this point is that I'm planning on a basic body, pommel, emitter setup and I'm concerned that won't make the handle long enough--is 7" of main body a long enough hilt? I used an extension on my Mk. I to get a longer body, but alas, TCSS doesn't make an extension in the style of the main body that I want to use which means the sleeve window ends up not being big enough aesthetically (It should cover most of the main body). So I may have to figure something out on that front.

Silver Serpent
05-15-2013, 12:35 PM
You appear to have an interesting project ahead of you. Draw out your designs on paper or in the MHS builder and see how they work together. It's certainly possible to do what you want. A shroud and bladeholder swap can drastically change the appearance of a saber.

One bit for you though: The Nano Biscotte uses a single li-ion battery, not two. If you want to use a pair of li-ions, then you'll need to upgrade to a Petit Crouton or better.

The Grey Elf
05-15-2013, 12:48 PM
You appear to have an interesting project ahead of you. Draw out your designs on paper or in the MHS builder and see how they work together. It's certainly possible to do what you want. A shroud and bladeholder swap can drastically change the appearance of a saber.

One bit for you though: The Nano Biscotte uses a single li-ion battery, not two. If you want to use a pair of li-ions, then you'll need to upgrade to a Petit Crouton or better.

You are correct, sir. Just checked my wish list and I have a 2AA holder on there. My mistake :)