PDA

View Full Version : My Battery Pack Question

jedimastergarcia87
05-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey guys. Since I got everything figured out electronic wise, would the 4 AA battery pack fit a 6 inch extension piece no problem? Its the main body. The switch will be 3 inches under the choke piece. Heres what the hilt will look like to give an idea. Finally got a design that I'm happy with. It'll be a rebel cyan, corbin battle blade at 36 inches.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Yeah, it should fit. That pack is about 4" long.

jedimastergarcia87
05-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Okay thanks. =] I got Apollo filters now and I got a cyan saber from the other guys and tried a bright blue filter over the main color and it turned out awesome. So I'll be doing the same thing with my custom build. its my main blue color. I call it dark sky blue. I'd post pictures but I know its not allowed here. Lol. You guys will see when I hit the buy button and everything gets here.

jedimastergarcia87
05-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Also when I do my cyan blade its going to be what I call dark sky blue. I have a bright blue Apollo filter saved for this build and purpose. I think you guys will like the color. =] Its just taking me awhile to get everything like always. Lol.

jedimastergarcia87
06-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Also after seeing the newly styled blade holder 15 I re-figured everything. Its going to be a Rebel Deep Red LED, 4.7ohm 5W resistor unless I wont need it. I was going to do the 2 AA battery set up. A buddy of mine told me I didn't really need a resistor though so I want to get this one cleared. Didn't want to flood anything. Lol. Sorry. Like I said its been years since I did a custom and now new stuff is out so its still all new to me all over again.

TrypWyr
06-03-2013, 08:21 PM
"Always use a resistor."

You could use 2xAA with a 1ohm/1watt resistor. Or, since you appear to have plenty room, go for the 4xAA and wire 2x2 for twice the run time.

jedimastergarcia87
06-04-2013, 12:23 PM
He also said you don't really need a resistor for this set up. So I wanted to get the right info. Like I said its been a long while since I've done a custom build so I forgot almost everything electronic wise plus with all this new stuff out now. I plan on using a Rebel Deep Red, 4 AA's, and whichever resistor is needed. I don't think a 1ohm 1W resistor would be the right one. Might make the blade way dim and such. Last I ehard for the 4 AA battery set up was a 4.7ohm 5W resistor.

Silver Serpent
06-04-2013, 12:40 PM
The 1 ohm 1 watt is correct with a 3v power supply. What TrypWyr was suggesting was that you wire up your 4xAA pack in a seriallel setup for extra runtime.

Going with 4xAA in a series setup won't get you any more runtime or brightness than using a 2xAA setup. You'll burn off the extra power as waste heat in your resistor.

jedimastergarcia87
06-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Not sure on how to wire like that. Like I said all this is new to me. But I think I'm going to be safe and just do the original 4 AA and 4.7ohm 5W resistor set up. Should I then just do regular red to be safe for that set up?

Silver Serpent
06-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Here is a pic of a seriallel battery setup. You'll have 3v with double the runtime. This setup would use the 1 ohm 1 watt resistor.

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a464/Eremith/Sabers/th_seriallelbattery_zps17ed456c.jpg (http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/Eremith/media/Sabers/seriallelbattery_zps17ed456c.jpg.html)

If you do a standard (series) 4xAA pack, you're just going to eat up batteries twice as fast. There's no benefit to using 4xAA over 2xAA in series with your LED choice. If you don't want to wire up a custom battery pack, then just use a 2xAA battery holder. You'll save money on batteries.

Regular red or deep red, it doesn't matter. They have the same specs.

jedimastergarcia87
06-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Eh. I'm just going to use my original set up. I usually never have my sabers on for long periods of time anyway only for mostly picture taking or duel practices. I don't know how to do all this fancy stuff. Lol. But thanks for the help anyway. I think you guys will like my build. Someone shared a picture of Deep Red for me to give me an idea of what it looks like and I like it. Kind of blood or ruby red to me. Different than regular red. Then for my brother's build it'll be the same electric specs but just with regular red and different hilt design. We are really Siths on the inside. :P

jedimastergarcia87
06-05-2013, 12:10 AM
I will let you guys know how my build goes. Probably be sometime in July if I'm lucky. And this time I have enough room for if I want to add sound later on which I might. Dunno which board to go for though.