PDA

View Full Version : choke stuck

FrosteyKnight
05-06-2013, 04:17 PM
ok so on my saber i had to take it apart to do some repair on it but when i went to reassemble it i am not able to get the choke and the main body to become flush they are secure to one another but even using a vicegrip and heavy pliers and slowly turning it didn't help (did scar up the saber a bit =( so i weather it a small amount) i currently have black electrical tape over the exposed threads to smooth it out for my hand and to improve the look of it but i would like to get them flush again thanks for any help

yes i know this is one long run-on sentence.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-06-2013, 04:20 PM
You need to take both pieces apart, clean them thoroughly, grease them (use the stuff Tim sells in the store), and then CAREFULLY re-assemble them. It sounds like you may have crossed the threads (which is very bad).

FrosteyKnight
05-06-2013, 04:24 PM
ok no i need to figure out how to get them apart without too much more scaring

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-06-2013, 04:33 PM
IF you can get all of the electronics out of them, stick the hilt in the freezer (no electronics) for about 20-30 minutes and then try unscrewing it again. ;)

FrosteyKnight
05-06-2013, 04:42 PM
I am not able to get the all the electronics out (i dont know if i would want to) but it isn't all bad i could learn to live with it.
Before
After

Skottsaber
05-07-2013, 12:09 AM
With the exception of the batteries which I don't know about, all electronics can easily survive a spell in a household freezer (usually a minimum of -23°C, they tend to be rated to temperatures of -40°C).

TrypWyr
05-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Depending on the location of any circuit boards, I'd say WD-40 with a straw applicator right down in the choke threads from inside... that stuff is amazing for stuck threads that you forgot to grease ahead of time.

The Yin
05-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Depending on the location of any circuit boards, I'd say WD-40 with a straw applicator right down in the choke threads from inside... that stuff is amazing for stuck threads that you forgot to grease ahead of time.

or, if you can get some WD-40 on the exposed thread and let it run in a bit. That may help also.

FrosteyKnight
05-07-2013, 02:34 PM
there are no circuit boards it uses a puck and every thing is heat shrieked thanks guys

Evilpancreas
05-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Yeah I had the same issue when a small piece of solder got caught in my threads. I used two pipe wrenches and a whole lot of wd40. The freezer didn't work for me.

FrosteyKnight
05-25-2013, 12:00 AM
well i finaly got the two piece out and have removed the item that was logged in there (i thank it was alumminame IDK though) but now i am unable to get the two piece back together as far as i can see there is no blockege and WD40 dosent help get them together i am thinking i need to take it to a machine shop they MAY be able to help. anyone thank this is a good/bad idea?