PDA

View Full Version : Shrouds

whitmers
05-04-2013, 09:48 AM
What sort of tubing do you use for an mhs compatible shroud?

I thought it might be a neat new thing to explore.

xl97
05-04-2013, 09:51 AM
as far as sizes?

or material?

Sinktubes .. and not the MHS sleeve stock is what is mostly used..

sinktube is thinner...

MHS sleeve material is thicker.. gives a nice 'depth' to a saber design..

MHS sleeve material is aluminum..

but you can use whatever material you find/source I guess.. as long as it FITS..

MHS parts have an OD of about 1.45 (I believe)

whitmers
05-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks, I guess I did not know what to look for in this regard. Now I know what and where to look. Thanks!

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Keep in mind that chrome sinktube is not only shiny, thin and cheap but is just plated copper-brass material. So when you cut itinto a shroud the edges will not be the same colour as the chrome surface...though the thinness of the material can make that less visible depending on shroud design. Of course that isn't a problem if you are planning to sand off the chrome anyway to make a brass shroud or are using non-plated copper or brass sinktube to begin with. If you aren't though the MHS sleeve material being one homogenous aluminum alloy will be the same colour on the edges and surface once cut and can then be highly polished to look similar all over to chrome plated sinktube despite its thicker edges, or weathered, aluminum blacked or finished in other ways of your choice...it is great stuff and Thank You Strydur for carrying it here.

Darth Ryo
05-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Never tried sinktube. So I cannot really talk for or against it.
But after some reading a year ago, I understood MHS sleeve was a better choice for a shroud, so I've chosen this solution.
I've been very happy with it :) it was not as hard as I thought to cut it and sand it, and eventually have something finished and looking good.
Just my 2 cents hehe