PDA

View Full Version : Double blade saber with 2 different colors

The Yin
04-30-2013, 09:10 AM
I was just reading a post in which a builder wanted to use Cyan for his blade color, but wanted a Sith double blade saber, and he was wondering if Sith can have colors other then red.

That's when I got the idea of a double blade saber with 2 colors. I don't think I've seen this before, but with the right color combination, I think it could look really cool.

Has anyone done this or seen it before?

Maybe my saber after the saber that's after the current saber I'm building will be a double blade saber with 2 different colors.

Silver Serpent
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
There are several examples of double-bladed sabers being wielded by Jedi. Most notably, the Satele Shan saber. Slothfurnace made an excellent reproduction of that saber, as have several other members of the community. The blades on that particular saber are cyan if I recall correctly.

There's no practical reason you couldn't make a saber staff with different colored blades on either end. You may end up with difficulty getting it approved by one of the official costuming groups, but you could certainly make it for your own enjoyment.

joshm74
04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Honestly I think its a cool idea. I have thought about doing it myself, but I have to agree with SS getting one of the cosuming groups to approve it might be difficult.

Silver Serpent
04-30-2013, 10:29 AM
It's only a problem if you're a member of one of those groups and wish to use your unorthodox saber in official functions. I'm not a member, so I can build any bizarre saber/costume I like. :)

Yoshi-Taka
04-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Outside of costuming, you'd have to pick your colors carefully. Some colors clash and won't look that great spinning together, whereas other combinations do. The backstory of the saber comes into play too (if that matters to you). Personally, unless you're actually in one of those groups, I'd say do it! As long as you're happy with it and you picked a pair of colors that matter to you for whatever reason(s) there are, who cares what others say? Were I not OCD, I'd do the very same thing.. but I crave uniformity so I can't include myself from that example.

Personally, I think Cyan and White would flow really well together. Since you're shooting for a Sith saber, I'd say clashing colors would be great. Cyan and Amber would be cool..

joshm74
04-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Officially I am in no way associated with any costuming group and have no say in what anyone might do or think.

But like I said earlier I think its a cool idea. I have thought about doing a Cyan/RoyalBlue staff myself. I think the reason I am probably not going to go through with the build is because I question how canon the dual color saberstaff really is. Yoshi-Taka has done some "non-canon" sabers though to me they really look like something you'd see in a SW movie. I am sure the Sabersmith community would like it, I cant see myself making something "non-canon". Just my two cents. I would like to see one done I just dont think its going to be me making it lol

Yoshi-Taka
04-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Yoshi-Taka has done some "non-canon" sabers though to me they really look like something you'd see in a SW movie. I am sure the Sabersmith community would like it, I cant see myself making something "non-canon". Just my two cents. I would like to see one done I just dont think its going to be me making it lol

Complement and challenge accepted. =D

The Yin
04-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I'll have to do this for a far future project, but since my mind was thinking on it. . .
I'd like to make it two 'twin' sabers that can be attached. The twist is, the designs will mirror each other (//=\\ or *&*=&*&), and the color scheme of the one will matched the blade color of the other?
I don't know, but the planing phase is always the longest.

Additional thought:
Maybe a Red blade and Blue blade with a purple crystal chamber in the mid. or a Blue-cyan-Green set up!

Must. Focus. On. Current. Build!

Darth Ryo
05-01-2013, 02:22 AM
It's funny cause I'm already planning a second saber staff with this idea in mind.
I always felt it was a pity that I could not have control over both side color independently on my current saber staff build.
But my second project will take care of this ^^

I think it is a very cool idea, so go for it ;)

Cern
12-29-2013, 11:28 PM
There was a comic (Star Wars: Invasion) where the main character (who has a yellow saber) takes another Jedi's saber (purple i think) and mates them together into a two colored saberstaff. looked sweet to me

Sidd
12-30-2013, 06:34 AM
I'l just leave this here

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/snipersidd/Saber%20stuff/Custom%20saber%20builds/2013-01-06223508.jpg

Yoshi-Taka
12-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Make that two..

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/SA-JtK/1109131659_zps3b6a7987.jpg

The Yin
06-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Nice! I'm just now coming back to this thread. Thanks for the pics. Seeing the idea actually made just confirms how cool it can look. :)

ghoti115
06-18-2014, 11:44 AM
It is an awesome idea.

If someone tells you your lightsaber isn't canon, you can tell them they are correct. Technically, with Disney making the changes to what is considered canon the books and comics are out. Only the 7 movies (Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI, and the Clone Wars Movie) and the Clone Wars CG series (not the shorts) are included (and Rebels when it comes out in September). While this does mean Blue, Green, Purple, Red, and Yellow (Jedi Temple Guards in the Clone Wars series) are all canon colors (even recognized in the Disney Build Your Own Lightsaber Kiosks). If the colors aren't on the appropriate hilt then the lightsaber cannot be considered canon. The logical conclusion to a canon discussion is either all ligthsabers are canon or only the exact replicas are canon.

The following information on lightsaber construction (the last two concepts are taken from canon sources) should be enough to support the idea that all lightsaber are considered canon.

1) "[T]he weapon was tailored to the creator's specific needs and preferences" [WookieePedia reference (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber)]. While the quote was specifically about the length of the hilt, I have a feeling that anyone here will agree that the length of the hilt is also tailored by what the creator needs inside of the hilt.
2) Each end of the lightsaber houses it's own crystal. I have no citation for this other than the question of "how would Darth Maul's lightsaber continue to work after it's cut in two if each end used the same crystal?" A basic understanding of how a circuit works is the basis for this question.
3) Each user of the Force (I'm not specifically going to say Jedi) who construct their own lightsaber is guided to the the correct crystal[s] through the Force (in some cases the crystals are manufactured). If the Force determines that the Force user needs two separate crystals, then that is what he/she will be guided to find/select. While I don't have a citation here either, the base concept is covered in Season 5 of the Clone Wars in the Young Jedi Arc (episodes 6 - 9).

Thanks for reading my rant about all things canon. I hope I didn't offend or upset anyone.

TheSilverDark
07-05-2014, 08:24 PM
In accordance with the above, one Star Wars book, I believe the Jedi Path, states "should the user find himself attracted to a hilt made of Greel wood or a oddly colored lens they should listen to that voice." I believe this also applies to crystals. If you really wanted to adhere to this statement pretty much any saber is Canon...but I think a lot of people would also disagree.