PDA

View Full Version : LED String Help

jpm021990
04-30-2013, 06:42 AM
I plan on making a LED string lightsaber but I am not too familiar with electronics and I was wondering if this setup here would work or would I need resistors or something else?

Silver Serpent
04-30-2013, 07:20 AM
It depends on how you wire the string up. If you wire all 60 LEDs in parallel, you'd add the current values together. You'll end up with an effective LED that requires 1200mA and 3.0-3.2v to activate. If you wire them all up in series, you'd add the voltages together, and need a ridiculous amount of power to turn them on (180v - 192v).

You could also wire the string up in sections. Perhaps 2 sections of 30 each, or 3 sections of 20 each. LED strings can get complicated pretty quickly.

If you do a single parallel string, you'll need a resistor to keep your 6v pack from burning out your LEDs. Check the link in my sig for a resistor calculator.

jpm021990
04-30-2013, 07:31 AM
I have them soldered in strands of 10 right now, what would be the best way to hook them up in your opinion and when I did the calculator, it said that I needed a resistor for every LED?

jpm021990
05-01-2013, 08:00 AM
What if I were to make one with 90 LED's instead of 60, would I need a stronger battery? or could I use 2 AA batteries and be ok

Silver Serpent
05-01-2013, 10:55 AM
String blades aren't really my thing. I like them, but I've never worked with them. You're going to have to search the forums, and experiment.

So long as the total combined voltage and current of your LED string (however you choose to wire it up) falls within the parameters of your battery pack, then you should do fine. Just be aware that if your battery pack has a higher voltage than your LED string requires, you WILL need resistors. If your battery pack has a lower voltage, then the blade will be dim. Try to match the LED string to the voltage of your pack as best you can.