PDA

View Full Version : Run time with PC board

mondas42
04-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Just wondering what sort of run time should I be expecting when I use a PC board. My set up is a pc board with two lithium cells. I was trooping for the first time today with this Saber, which was fully charged last night. The Saber worked fine but after about two hours it packed up, no warning just died. First I thought something had broke but when I got home first thing I tried was to recharge it (easiest thing to rule out first!). Sure enough it started charging and works fine now, but two hours? Should I get more than that?

If that is my lot, would keeping the sound off help with the run time (to be honest in a noisy room, the sound is slightly irrelevant) I had to use my other Saber with a NB board in and only one lithium cell and this lasted the entire afternoon.

Thanks

Martin

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-13-2013, 11:42 AM
it depends on what li-ion cells you are using and which LED. If you are getting 2 hours, that sounds pretty good to me.

Silver Serpent
04-13-2013, 02:25 PM
The sound board isn't the biggest drain on your batteries. Your main blade LED is the culprit.

I usually calculate a 350mA drain from the sound board, plus whatever the main LED is drawing (usually 700mA or 1000mA for single die LEDs). My quad GGGG LEDEngin is drawing 2A when running Full Powah.

2 hours is a good solid runtime. If you need more than that, you can either use larger batteries, or have quick-disconnects on your battery pack and carry a spare.

Lord Dottore Matto
04-13-2013, 08:43 PM
2 hours is an EXCELLENT run time. Most LEDs with a 7.4V Li-ion pack won't yield more than 45 minutes. You can always increase the mAh of your pack by going with a seriallell 14500 pack or just an 18650 pack.

CGompertz09
04-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Man, I WISH my saber had a 2 hour run time. My set up is is a PC 2.0, Tri-Cree BBW run at 1.2a, with a 14500 7.4v 800mah battery pack. I actually timed it out once, total runtime off of fresh, fully charged cells was only 36 minutes. I'm probably gonna upgrade a little to a 14650 pack soon so I have at least a little extra.

Zook
04-19-2013, 03:45 PM
as others have stated 2 hours is a good run time. The PC 2 has mute on the go like the CF 5 and up does. Press the aux button just before powering the saber and it gives you mute on the go.

I have not tried it but it might save you a little time but I doubt enough to notice it at all because as others have said the main draw is the LED not the sound board itself.

BTW that is the way the protected LiIon cells work. They just kill the power when they hit their threshold.