PDA

View Full Version : More interesting Nano Biscotte issues

SophiannaKatan
04-11-2013, 11:00 AM
So everything had been working perfectly fine, up until last Sunday when my main saber (wired with a NB) started having issues. The sound cut out, though the power off and power on seemed to still work fine. I figured the cheap speaker I'd bought had finally died.

However, turns out not to be the case - no speaker works with the card now. I had thought it was the SD card, but swapping/reformatting the card doesn't help.

I suspect what happened was a combination of heat and damage to the recharge port (the apparently suffered some damage on Sunday, not certain exactly how that happened, but it did). It could have also been the result of issues with the 18650 I was using as well - said 18650 will no longer charge.

Anyway, I'm not looking for a fix (though I would love one), but I'm curious as to what folks think about what could have been the cause.

--SKA

Silver Serpent
04-11-2013, 01:16 PM
The initial sound issues you describe sound like the battery running low.

I'm guessing there was an issue with either the recharge port, or the way it was wired. Were you able to recharge the saber properly prior to Sunday's events? Or was that the first time you had attempted to recharge it?

It's also possible that the battery is defective. Did you purchase a new one, or scavenge it from another source? I ask, because I love scavenging extra 18650s out of old laptop battery packs. :)

SophiannaKatan
04-11-2013, 09:40 PM
It was having issues staying on, so the low battery may have been one of the issues.

But I think the recharge port was damaged during training, and when I went to recharge it, it may have caused damage to the card.

Card doesn't work at the moment - after some testing, I think is kaput. I'm going relay out how the internals where done so it's more stable.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-12-2013, 06:17 AM
You might want to replace the recharge port and the battery first, before writing off the board (which probably could be repaired) ;) Recharge ports tend to fail on a fairly regular basis.

SophiannaKatan
04-12-2013, 09:50 AM
That was the first thing I did. Board is still Kaput. I even cleaned all the contacts and resoldered everything.

Silver Serpent
04-12-2013, 10:06 AM
It's possible that the board can be repaired. If you're located in the US, I know Zook (MH on the FX-Sabers forums) handles repairs on several Plecter boards. Shoot him a PM and see what he has to say. It's nearly always cheaper to repair a board than it is to replace it. If you're in Europe or elsewhere in the world, you might try contacting Erv.

SophiannaKatan
04-18-2013, 09:55 AM
It's possible that the board can be repaired. If you're located in the US, I know Zook (MH on the FX-Sabers forums) handles repairs on several Plecter boards. Shoot him a PM and see what he has to say. It's nearly always cheaper to repair a board than it is to replace it. If you're in Europe or elsewhere in the world, you might try contacting Erv.

It is? Damn. If I'd paid attention/known that a week ago.

Let me drop Zook a line then. I was recently approved for the FX saber forums (after a year or so) so that will work too.

I have two that need to be looked at.

-- SKA

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-18-2013, 10:04 AM
That's good that you joined FX, most of us are on there as well. Zook is MH on FX-Sabers.

SophiannaKatan
04-18-2013, 10:27 AM
That's good that you joined FX, most of us are on there as well. Zook is MH on FX-Sabers.

Allow me to rephrase... I thought I had. Apparently I was never verified. I think I've been through this before where I ask them to send me a new verification email, and it never happens. I recall having been verified, but when I went to log in no dice.

So I emailed one of the folks involved in such things over there. Been trying to register for them since last year, but as most of what I do is reading and research it's not been a big deal.

Silver Serpent
04-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Shoot a PM to LDM (Lord Dottore Motto) here on these forums, and he can usually help you with the registration process on FX.

Zook
04-19-2013, 03:39 PM
if the recharge port wires got crossed or something and took the battery out it probably also took the audio amp out with it. I shot you a reply on FX (got it here yesterday but was on the road all day).

It could also be that the battery failed and took things out.