PDA

View Full Version : Potential Shadowing with a FOC led string

spits79
04-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Hello,

I'm start to get bits together to do a LED string blade and I've seen various post of people saying if you have multiple strings in a blade you can get shadowing. Whilst I was just going to put one led string in it occurs to me that I will need a second for FoC. Will this present a problem or is there any advice on how to do this?

mihunai
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Well, you could go for a string of RGB LED's. That way you don't have any shadowing, and you still get all the colours you want.

spits79
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Not really sure that is a possibly. If you have say cf or pc there are separate pads for the foc. I was just wondering if people have woven the led string together, braded them or just put up with it and try and compensate with diffusers?

The Yin
04-09-2013, 10:20 AM
I was wondering the same thing, about using RGB leds. I'm going to be working on my first LED String saber soon, but it will be a simple setup with no FoC. So, I don't have any experience with LED String to know if it is possible to string RGB LEDs. Don't they have 4 leads on them?
[thank you Google]. Yes, they do.

Weaver
04-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Certain boards will allow FoC effects without dedicating an entire die to the function. With the main string set to 90% and the FoC ranging from 95-100%, the blade would simply flash a brighter color. If used on one main blade string, I honestly don't see how it could cast shadows.

Sunrider
04-20-2013, 03:19 PM
I you are not using a scrolling type blade driver and you want FoC why are you using a string? Strings are less robust, much more difficult to make, and costs a lot more.

Weaver
04-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I like strings for several reasons, but they do have drawbacks like you mentioned. A lot of people want the best of everything, so they try to cram as many features into a saber as possible. I do, anyway. If I could get away with a color-change string AND FoC? You bet I would try.

The worst that can happen is a failed attempt.

Sunrider
04-20-2013, 07:44 PM
I guess my point is. If you do go the length to make this string you might as well use a board that can scroll because that is the main advantage of a string.

Weaver
04-20-2013, 08:19 PM
I'd have to agree with that. For me, the greatest draw is even lighting, but I would be lying if I said the scrolling effect wasn't cool too. I had ideas on how to get the best of both worlds, but I'm not doing a string blade any time soon. That will have to come when I have more money.

spits79
04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
I guess my point is. If you do go the length to make this string you might as well use a board that can scroll because that is the main advantage of a string.

I want to make a LED string primarily to see if I can but also my intention is to lay my hands on a CF-LS when they come back into stock however I have no patients so in order to have something to work on in the mean time I bought a PC. The original intention was to have 2 led strings as I wanted to create a purple with white clash and I've not managed to fine dual led purple. I didn't realise you could create FOC with RGB LEDs though, that might be a better way to do it. I've looked into changeable colour thing and just assumed you had to have a separate circuit attached to the FOC pads on cards.

Weaver
04-22-2013, 09:10 AM
The flash effect I mentioned is only possible with one soundboard on the market, and it isn't the Crystal Focus. If I recall correctly, all of Plecter Labs' boards do require the external circuit to achieve FoC. I only mentioned the same-color flash as a possible alternative.

spits79
04-22-2013, 03:21 PM
No that cool, good for future reference. Which sound board are you actually referring too btw?

Weaver
04-22-2013, 04:50 PM
I am told that it's bad form to bring up "the other guys" on this forum, considering it's linked to TCSS' store. If you run a Google search, you should be able to come up with a list of available boards and their features. Try using the term "Dual Phase", since that feature is one that is (to my knowledge) unique to this board.

One more caveat: I have not attempted a blade string with this board. I am only mentioning that it should be feasible, given that strings are essentially the same as stars, as far as powering them goes. All you're really doing is spreading out the current across many smaller LEDs. Common anode RGBs should work well enough for this purpose. They're kind of expensive, though, so I would read up on everything and practice lots before attempting it. You could be looking at a $100+ blade.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-22-2013, 05:25 PM
I am told that it's bad form to bring up "the other guys" on this forum, considering it's linked to TCSS' store. If you run a Google search, you should be able to come up with a list of available boards and their features. Try using the term "Dual Phase", since that feature is one that is (to my knowledge) unique to this board.

One more caveat: I have not attempted a blade string with this board. I am only mentioning that it should be feasible, given that strings are essentially the same as stars, as far as powering them goes. All you're really doing is spreading out the current across many smaller LEDs. Common anode RGBs should work well enough for this purpose. They're kind of expensive, though, so I would read up on everything and practice lots before attempting it. You could be looking at a $100+ blade.

1. It is bad form to bring up "competitors" here.

Since the subject came up... as far as I have seen, no one has done a string blade with the board being thought of. Also, FoC and Dual Phase are two different effects/functions/however you wish to describe them. And FoC (which the OP asked about) has been available on Plecter Labs boards for several years now. ;)

As a side note to all this... The CF-LS is a fairly new board that came out (on a very limited basis) and is still being worked on/improved, etc. etc. And the $100. plus estimate is pretty close to the mark. ;)

Weaver
04-22-2013, 06:04 PM
I was unclear in my wording. I meant to say that Dual Phase was a reliable way of searching for the board, not meaning to imply that they were the same thing. I also did not intend to imply otherwise about Flash on Clash. As far as I know, the standard FoC functionality was invented by Plecter Labs.

Sorry for any mixups.

spits79
04-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Oh I check the Plecter labs page most days seeing if there is stock. But as I mentioned, I'm impatient so I will use a PC until they come into stock. The other information is good as I am sure I will make others after this.

Weaver
04-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Impatience got me a semi-fried board. I really recommend practice before attempting any soundboard installs. Check and recheck your design, and plan everything. I would hate to see you lose a $125 board because of a missed step.

spits79
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks yeah, that's good advice... now I am worry and need to recheck my master plan :)