PDA

View Full Version : Led string with scrolling effect with Petit Crouton

spits79
04-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Hello, I recently build a pretty simple LED saber (had a NB in it) and now am totally hooked so I'm starting a second. This time I want to do a LED string version and have that cool scroll on/off effect. I start getting part lists together with the naive idea I would just buy a CF and go from there.

I have since discovered that these seem to be as rare as hens teeth and whilst disappointed I've read the posts and can totally understand the reasons why. (BTW hats off to the bloke... he does a spectacular job). I looked at the Petit Crouton which is nice and has everything else I want except the scrolling on/off.

Am I right in thinking that if I wanted the scrolling option the way would be to purchase an Master Replicas saber and rip the board out of that, is that what other do? Most of the how-tos just say "Now get your MR and... " I can't seem to find how you actually lay your hands on a MR board.

Either way I am not thinking I might just get a PC in the interim but does anyone know if there is away to do the scrolling effect with a PC or will it just be a matter of not having that feature until I can get my hands on a board that does it?

Lord Dottore Matto
04-07-2013, 03:33 AM
You want a CFv5-LS (CF for LED string). They are available as are CFv6. The CF used to be rare, but is now almost always available. The PC will not provide the effect that you seek.

spits79
04-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I figured the CF-LS 6 was the best way and to be honest after reading the manual was keen to get my hands on it.

It was just, I went to the Plector Labs page and when I saw it was sold out and there was a message on the front page saying look to the FX-forums for info. So I did and found a bunch of threads on the lack of avaliablity. There was also a post from (ERV?) saying he only makes 80 a year so I figured it was the norm... I just had another look and that was from 2010 actually so is it easier to get a hold of one now?

Just out of curiosity with the MR boards is that what they actually do, buy a saber and savage the board out of it?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-07-2013, 08:40 AM
MR boards are typically scavenged out of the saber, but only because they are/were a "cheap" way to get a sound board, not really because of the LED string blade factor.

Silver Serpent
04-08-2013, 05:03 AM
You can follow @ErvPlecter on Twitter. He usually posts a message when he restocks.

spits79
04-08-2013, 10:24 AM
So just a matter of patient hey.... I realise you might not know but how regularly does he put them out there? Just wondering if its worth getting a PC or NB in the interim as I got the saber-building bug bad and would like to start work on it soon? :)

Silver Serpent
04-08-2013, 11:09 AM
If you design your saber for a PC, it's not hard to swap for a CF. They're nearly identical in size, use a pair of switches, and run on a pair of li-ions. The NB is smaller, uses a single switch, and only one li-ion, so it'd be more work to swap out.

Not sure how often he puts them out. I wouldn't think you'd have to wait more than a month to get one, but I could be wrong.

Of course, the PC won't support the segmented string blades. Well, it *can*, but you won't get the scrolling effect.