PDA

View Full Version : Question on cutting a blade holder

steck
04-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Its probably been asked, I didn't do a lot of research between cups of coffee. But I have a blade holder 4 and I want to cut an approx 50* angle starting about halfway up the slots cut out of it. My question is, can I cut this much off and still get a solid grip on the blade? I haven't ordered any electronics yet so I don't know how far into the holder the blade goes. Would I be better off getting a blank holder 2 with slots milled out to have a secure grip on the blade?

Silver Serpent
04-02-2013, 08:24 AM
For angled cuts on the blade holders, look at BH 12 and BH 17. BH 12 has about 1.25" of blade inserted into the holder before the angled cut begins. BH 17 only has about 0.875" of blade inserted before the curved cut begins. Note: that's from eyeballing it on the MHS builder, I haven't measured them.

Personally, I wouldn't use less than 1" of inserted blade before the cut. You should still get a solid grip, depending on where you place the blade retention screw.

steck
04-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks. When I get home I'll take some measurements, draw some lines, and wear the Sharpe off it waiting on ups.