PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and first build parts checklist!

Rishaan
03-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Howdo!

I have been folloing this forum on and off for last nine months or so, and still don't have a real grasp on things yet lol( soooo damn much info!!!) I was an Aviation Electronics Tech in the Navy, so I should be able to refresh my solder skills enough to build the most basic saber in LDM's thread. I am guessing rest of the fun stuff and understanding comes with learning, trial and error, and of course research.

I am still playing around with hilt ideas so I will edit the post when I get that figured out.

My main questions are thus:

1. the wiring kit that LDM posts is out of stock. Is there an alternative that I could do that is still not overly elite skill intensive?

2. Referring to the above question, is there a P4 red LED? or just Blue, Green and white? Or is there something I am not seeing on making the blade red(i am real partial to reds/oranges, amber, and purple blades[go SMJ!!!]

If i can figure that out then I believe I am well on my way and can figure out the hilt design and get everything ordered!!

Editing for the actual Parts list.

1. Rebel Star LED and MHS new style heatsink Kit in Deep Red
2. MWS Guarded Latching switch
3. 700mA 6 wire Buckpuck
4. 2AA Battery holder with JST connector
5. Pommel Style 3
6. MHS Gear Extender
7. Hilt style 2 w/ Guarded switch hole
8. Style 24 Blade Holder
9. LED Corbin-style show blade 1" OD
8. Blade Retention Screw

Not sure if i am missing anything, especially on building the harness or if the Buckpuck has all the wires i need. Has been 12 years since I have built a wire harness lol

Thank you in advance,

Much Love,
Rishaan

Silver Serpent
03-30-2013, 06:50 AM
1. The wiring kits are just premade bundles of the other items in the store. You can pick out what you need yourself fairly easily. The internal items you need for a basic stunt (soundless) saber are as follows: Latching switch, blade LED, wire, battery (and holder if you want), and something to regulate current (resistor or buckpuck). From a wiring perspective, you're not building anything more complicated than a flashlight.

2. There is a P4 red LED, but it appears to be out of stock right now. There are Rebel Reds available, and they work the same. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Luxeon-Rebel-Star-P523.aspx If you want a great purple, you'll have to delve into the world of multi-die LEDs and color mixing.

Rishaan
03-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Thanks much Silver! Yeah I am not ready to play with the multi color RGB and wiring them in series lol. FOr batteries will a 2AA holder suffice for power needs? I can remember if the voltage runs in series on them or if 3.7v is 3.7v not 7.4v with 2. I do not really want to get a rechargable battery pack without a recharge port, and for a basic first saber I think it would be overkill.

I am looking at some fun hilt ideas that would require either putting the switch in the pommel or asking for custom machining to be done to one of the extenders. WIll probably save those for later as well lol. I WILL figure all of this out! I am literally gidy with excitement to build my first saber! My goal is to have enough knowledge to build or collaborate with someone to design and build Darth Nihilus's Lightsaber or something close by Halloween. I am ordering the Nihilus costume from MyWickedArmor.com (Revan crossed my budget by a bit lol, and I actually like Nihilus more as a character), ad hope to have it in by late June. I know I am setting a semi unrealistic goal here, but I am a fast learner :P.

Thanks again for the advice!

So I ordered my hilt pieces and am now waiting for my next paycheck to order the blade and electronics. I am going to assume for the moment that silence means I have all I need in my pars list??